x58 motherboard accepting ecc registered

Sep 12, 2015
Hi,
Do you know any consumer motherboard that is known to work with ECC Registered memory? i know it s not officially supported but I ve read that some guys managed to make it work with Xeons since the memory controller is on the CPU.
I tried 4x8GB ECC Reg sticks with the Asrock X58 Extreme and a Xeon X5660 but it wouldn't boot.
I tried with just 1 of those sticks in each memory slot but still gets stuck at post. Maybe it s because I m using 8gb sticks? That would be strange because 2x8Gb non ecc unbuffered memory works fine.
The Cpu works fine with Non ECC unbuffered memory. I guess there s something in the bios that s preventing me to boot.
I ve heard that supermicro boards support ECC Reg but they usually can't overclock. Anyone had luck with Asus/MSI/Gigabyte?

scuzzycard

Honorable
You'll probably have better luck getting ECC unbuffered to work in consumer boards. May I ask why you're trying to install ECC memory in an overclocked rig? ECC is there to catch and correct the 1 soft error that occurs in a typical month with ordinary healthy RAM in a machine that is already as stable as can be.

I do know that with a lot of Asus motherboards they have a option in the bios to run ECC memory or standard memory.

The last few motherboards I have had over the last year or two have all had this option in the bios to enable Ecc memory extra parity checking of data.

Not too sure about Gigabyte boards.

But Asus do have the option in the bios to enable Ecc memory I assure you on a lot of there motherboards.

Sep 12, 2015

Ecc Reg seems to be discounted on the second hand market. The reason is probably because not many mobos support it. I ve successfully used Ecc unbuffered memory in consumer boards. Registered memory works differently as there is some sort additional controller in the ram stick, I guess that s why it usually doesn't work in consumer boards.

Sep 12, 2015

There s 2 type of ECC memory, unbuffered and registered. The 1st one is know to work in consumer boards, I m asking about the second type.