X58 with ssd

rayt160

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
i have a px58d-e x58 motherboard by asus with the marvel controller.. im looking for a 120gb sata 3 ssd but iv read about problems with slow speeds with marver controllers and certain ssd's.. any recommendations would fantastic.. ta..

All X58 motherboards use Marvell as the controller for their SATA 3 ports.

The Marvell controller on your motherboard has a maximum data bandwidth of PCIe x1 at 5Gb/s (500MB/s).

You will not get the maximum advertised speeds from any SATA 3 SSD you connect to the Marvell ports, but your performance will still be better than connecting the drive to one of the SATA 2 ports.

Do not RAID SATA 3 SSDs on the Marvell ports; you will get better performance with RAID on the SATA 2 ports.

Make sure the Marvell controller is in AHCI mode for best performance.

rayt160

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Thanks for the in depth reply.. i was thinking of the ocz vertex 3 but because i will not get full speed would there be a drive you would recommend and what kind of speeds should i be looking at so i know im getting the best possible from my ssd.. ta..

You can stick with the Vertex 3 if you wish. No matter which drive you connect you won't get advertised speeds.

The Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 are good choices also.

Expect to see 400-450 Read/Write speeds using ATTO benchmark software.

TRENDING THREADS