Question X99 only detects half of installed memory

williamtoenges

Reputable
Jul 23, 2018
Picked up a couple of used X99 boards bundles recently, swapped parts I wanted and sold off the rest. When I installed what I thought was a 32gb kit (8x4gb) I found out that it was actually two 16gb (4x4gb) kits and the Asus X99 Deluxe II (i7-5960x) board I kept doesn’t recognize both kits installed simultaneously.

Both kits are fully functioning, and all memory slots are detected (double checked all of this) but the computer just doesn’t recognize both kits being socketed in. The kits are identical (Corsair LPX 2133mhz 16gb) I just can’t figure out what might be causing the issue.

It’s my understanding that this is a quad channel motherboard so maybe I’m misunderstanding the order the dimms go in. I assumed it was a kit mixing issue and looked for a 16gb (8x2gb) kit but found out through searching a while that these either don’t exist are are incredibly hard to find. Tried a few “fixes” I found but couldn’t get it figured out, I’m gonna start from square one and assume I haven’t tried anything yet.

What I have tried:

- I slotted the dimms in numerically by suffix serial number correlating to their kit (36, 37, 38, 39/40,41,42,43) and then seated them in according to the alphanumeric slot (A1/36, B1/37, C1/38, D1/39, A2/40, B2/41, C2/42, D2/43).

After attempting this only C1/C2, D1/D2 show as populated.

- I have reset the Bios

Am I missing something really obvious here?

TLDR:

Picked up an Asus X99 Deluxe II motherboard, have two working 16gb (4x4) 2133mhz Corsair LPX memory kits that don’t want to work when plugged in together. Am I attempting the impossible? Am I misunderstanding what order the kits should go in? Open to solutions. Cross posted.

Lutfij

Titan
Which BIOS version is the board currently equipped with? Can you parse an image to the ram kits stickered info? Very likely that the rams were purchased due to a theme or being at a discount and made to run at bar minimum or you have rams that aren't meant for the platform, since there was a time when a specific kit of ram would work with a specific platform, regardless of Intel or AMD.

One more thing, how are you cooling that processor and what is the make and model of your PSU(and it's age)?

Picked up a couple of used X99 boards bundles recently, swapped parts I wanted and sold off the rest. When I installed what I thought was a 32gb kit (8x4gb) I found out that it was actually two 16gb (4x4gb) kits and the Asus X99 Deluxe II (i7-5960x) board I kept doesn’t recognize both kits installed simultaneously.

Both kits are fully functioning, and all memory slots are detected (double checked all of this) but the computer just doesn’t recognize both kits being socketed in. The kits are identical (Corsair LPX 2133mhz 16gb) I just can’t figure out what might be causing the issue.

It’s my understanding that this is a quad channel motherboard so maybe I’m misunderstanding the order the dimms go in. I assumed it was a kit mixing issue and looked for a 16gb (8x2gb) kit but found out through searching a while that these either don’t exist are are incredibly hard to find. Tried a few “fixes” I found but couldn’t get it figured out, I’m gonna start from square one and assume I haven’t tried anything yet.

What I have tried:

- I slotted the dimms in numerically by suffix serial number correlating to their kit (36, 37, 38, 39/40,41,42,43) and then seated them in according to the alphanumeric slot (A1/36, B1/37, C1/38, D1/39, A2/40, B2/41, C2/42, D2/43).

- I have reset the Bios

Am I missing something really obvious here?

TLDR:

Picked up an Asus X99 Deluxe II motherboard, have two working 16gb (4x4) 2133mhz Corsair LPX memory kits that don’t want to work when plugged in together. Am I attempting the impossible? Am I misunderstanding what order the kits should go in? Open to solutions. Cross posted.
Tried to update the bios into the latest? Try to update it, and enable memory remap on the bios (if tthere is any).

williamtoenges

Reputable
Jul 23, 2018
Which BIOS version is the board currently equipped with? Can you parse an image to the ram kits stickered info?

I don’t know but I can get all that info when I get home.

“One more thing, how are you cooling that processor and what is the make and model of your PSU(and it's age)?”

Corsair H100i, 2 years old, coolant temps never rose above 34°c. EVGA 750 Modular 80+ Gold, model I dunno, and new as of a year ago.

“Tried to update the bios into the latest? Try to update it, and enable memory remap on the bios (if tthere is any).”

I can try that when I get home, no memory remap as far as I’ve found.

williamtoenges

Reputable
Jul 23, 2018
Which BIOS version is the board currently equipped with?

Version 2101

Can you parse an image to the ram kits stickered info?

I assume you mean post a pic?

RAM info. top dimm is part of kit 1, bottom dimm is part of kit 2

edit: it appears from the Memory Support section of the board’s support page that my CMK16GX4M4A2400C14R model is not supported for 8 dimms on this motherboard.

I assume that’s the issue

Last edited:

Latest posts