Question X99 PRO / 3.1 Turns off Right away

Mar 12, 2022
Anyone familiar with this issue for x99 pro/3.1 motherboard?

When I turn the power on, it turns off right away.

The power led on the mobo is red and the reset led right to it is green. Is this normal? Is it supposed to be red color for power led?

I did some testing and when I unplugged the CPU 8 pin power connector from the mobo, the mobo stays on with 00 led number.

But, obviously it is useless since it won't post without CPU and cannot do anything nor tell me anything. There is no sound either at all.

What is causing the mobo turns off right away, but stays on if I remove the CPU power connector?

In addition, I also tried removing the CPU completely, and same issue is happening. I ky stays on when disconnecting the 8pin CPU power.

Is my CPU dead? Or my mobo is dead? Or something else?

Thanks.

Is the correct modular EATX12V cable being used appropriate for whatever PSU is being used...? (Cables rarely interchangeable, and different pinouts at PSU insertion points can have devastating effects) Is PSU of sufficient wattage?

Which CPU is being used?

Was this mainboard known (i.e., witnessed by you) to function with an earlier processor?

Options to narrow it down further are rather limited without another known good and compatible CPU, another system (with known good mainboard and up to date BIOS if testing 6xxx series CPUs) to check your CPU in, and/or another known good PSU...

Mar 12, 2022
Is the correct modular EATX12V cable being used appropriate for whatever PSU is being used...? (Cables rarely interchangeable, and different pinouts at PSU insertion points can have devastating effects) Is PSU of sufficient wattage?

Which CPU is being used?

Was this mainboard known (i.e., witnessed by you) to function with an earlier processor?

Options to narrow it down further are rather limited without another known good and compatible CPU, another system (with known good mainboard and up to date BIOS if testing 6xxx series CPUs) to check your CPU in, and/or another known good PSU...

I'm using the cable provided by the PSU. It is labeled CPU.

My PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 1200.
Has 2 cables labeled CPU and 2 CPU power outputs. I tried both cables on both outputs.

Same issues.

My CPU is Intel Core i7-5960X.

I have checked the support list. My CPU, my RAMs are all supported based on the list.

I am building all brand new parts. But this motherboard is used.

According to the seller the mobo is tested and should be working.

The CPU is sold as brand new as they claimed.

I had another motherboard, msi x99a raider, refurbished, it turned on but doesn't POST. I thought the mobo is dead so I returned it.

So, I got this used Asus x99 PRO instead. But for this mobo, it turns off right away, one second after pressing the on button.

So, I'm not sure if both mobo are dead OR this CPU that is supposed to be brand new is dead or maybe the PSU is broken? But it did turn on for my first mobo but did not POST; can defective PSU causing mobo not POST? Even though the fans and lights are all on.

Not sure else to do and not sure which part is dead.

CPU do look brand new, no scratch marks or dents.

This 2nd mobo turned off right away but it will stay on if I remove the 8pin CPU power connector.

Should a mobo turn off right away if there is no CPU in the socket and the power 8 pin is connected?

If I know which part is the issue, I can just return that part, otherwise I would have to return everything.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022
Hi, I got an Asus x99 pro/3.1 motherboard. I tried to test to see if the motherboard is not defective.

When I turn it on with the 8pin CPU connected to the motherboard, it shuts off instantly. I tried it with and without CPU, as well as with and without CPU fan. All instances causing the motherboard shutdown right away.

I tried to reset bios, and CMOS battery. No changes.

However, removing the 8pin CPU connector allows the motherboard to stay on but nothing is POST.

My questions are:

1 - is a motherboard suppose to shutdown when the 8pin CPU connector is connected to the motherboard without CPU?
But, stays on if remove the 8 pin connector?
Is this a normal behavior?

2 - In addition, can it POST and go to bios without a CPU for this Asus x99 pro?

Thanks.