XBOne VS. PS4 - Time to Set the Record Straight

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

MS has far more servers than EA which guarantees a far better experience. It wasn't the fault of DRM, it was EA underestimating their server capabilities.

Wow, talk about a massive and subjective generalisation. You are right, there really is no point to drag this on.

teknobug

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I'm disgusted by the restrictions on the X1, I also read elsewhere on the internet that the X1 will be cheaper to own in the long run- I don't see any sense in that.

Until Microsoft fixes/changes some of the things for the X1, the PS4 will win the battle... hell I'm probably going to get one myself if Gran Turismo 6 is going to that platform.

Sure I have consistent broadband, but that's not the point, I still want to play games offline (I do occasionally on my 360) but even single-player games these days (such as SimCity and Sims 3) requires a connection for it to be playable and internet CAN go down at times, the 1 hour DRM on the X1 is straight up retarded.

Do you think that's due to vastly mediocre games that the market is so full of that doesn't sell? Or something else? :p

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

You sound exactly like the people I'm mainly addressing, the ones who are complaining even though they're not affected. You do play the games offline, it's just checks in once every 24 hours (not 1 unless you're borrowing a friend's game). I'm presuming you have wi-fi at home and when you turn on your Xbox, you probably won't be switching off the wi-fi on the console for no reason. What's the problem?

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Honestly, the biggest gripes for me have nothing to do with the always online, the DRM, or the kinect always running...

1. Always online - I have a broadband internet connection, who cares...

2. XB1 DRM - I'm mainly a PC gamer, I haven't been able to lend my games to friends in years, let alone trade in old ones haha

3. Kinect always running - My phone is always running in my pocket too?

As we talked about before, it's more the power differences that get to me. That, and the price. It makes no sense for me to purchase a console with that big of a detriment to it's GPU, at $100 more. That said, it really comes down to exclusive titles. If there is some exclusive you REALLY want for the XB1, then go ahead, get that - otherwise, I feel the PS4 is a better deal.

I should actually mention too... There are a few features related to the HDMI-in plug on the XB1, that (mostly just for sports fans) are pretty cool, so for some people that could play a role. It still doesn't justify the price gap at those hardware levels though.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I guess Microsoft caved on the DRM thing, for the most part.
*Puts the pitchfork down*

@linford585
The Xbox One isn't cheaper to make is the problem. 5 billion transistor chip in that sucker, due to the embedded memory on the die. Hurts yields, having such a big chip... and if anything, the Xbox One might cost more than the PS4 before the Kinect is included, despite the GDDR5 perhaps being a little bit more expensive than the DDR3.

I think it would be difficult for Microsoft to match Sony at $400 without the Kinect, so maybe it's not a bad idea for them to have included it, from a price to value perceived view.

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

Both systems are running on a SoC, that's not unique to the XB1. If anything, I'd assume the PS4 to be more expensive to manufacture, at the very least just due to having 6 more CUs.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@linford585

They are both using AMD APUs, but because the Xbox One has DDR3 memory, instead of GDDR5, they had a big memory bandwidth bottleneck. Microsoft's solution to to put eSRAM on the die with their APU, making the chip huge and more likely to have yield issues.

The chip in the PS4 has a larger GPU, but is overall a LOT smaller.

Purpleshadez

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
What i find funny is the REAL hard core XBOX fans (yes you know who you are.. saying "xbox is the best and can not do wrong etc") i have both PS3 and Xbox and having a family i found PS3 more multimedia friendly so gave son the Xbox for his room,

But as now coming into the Next get i must admit i wonder which is best as i know Xbox really working on its multimedia for its Xbox-one.. but i if PS4 just as multimedia friendly as the PS3 than i will find it hard to choose :pfff:

NOTE: to the part that PlayStation plus (on PS3) worse that Xbox live.... you are wrong.. PS+ gives you free game or 2 download per month (battlefield 3 + saint row the third is July free download) and you get to keep while you have subscription, while far as i know all Xbox live dose is lets you play online and both about same price per month :p

360 Lad

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013

Ok I was a massive Xbox fan boy but am going over to the PS4 and here is my retort,

1. 24 hour Check-In:

I understand the point of this, but I live in England and yes the Broadband over here is ok, but when there is a problem do you know how long it takes to sort out, especially if its with Virgin Media, basically you have to phone up a call centre in India who have no idea what they are doing and after 3 weeks of arguing and transferring with them they finally decided to sort it out. Now my problem is why should I miss out on playing my console for 3 weeks over there stupidity.

2. & 3 Game Sharing, used Games

Not that this matters anymore because X box have pulled this because of public backlash, but If I purchase something whether it be a cd house car or game as far as I’m concerned its mine and if I want to sell it lend it to a friend I want to be able to do so and not have to comply with a load of restrictions, and I have more than 10 friends. To be honest I very rarely lend games or get them lent to me because we generally play online together but its more the principle of it, ok you can buy this house off me but for as long as you have it you can only let certain people stay over and if you want to sell it it will have to meet my approval.

4. Requiring Kinect:

In my opinion its nothing to do with Human rights, I wouldn’t use one therefore I don’t want one so do not say I have to have it and charge me extra for it.

5. Xbox Live VS. PSN Plus:

Pointless to argue all you need to know is, PS4 is slightly cheaper, Xbox slightly better

6. Microsoft Concentrating on Entertainment Rather than Games:

Nothing wrong with that, the only mistake they made was making Gamers feel like they no longer really cared about them (which is obviously incorrect) especially after Sonys whole focus was about how they want to improve life for a gamer.

7. XBOne is not as Powerful as the PS4:

DDR3, DDR5 probably wouldn’t of made too much difference to start with (DDR5 would give the developers much more scoop in a few years tho) but the big issue is only 5 GB have been designated to gaming because 3 gb will be tied up working Xbox other functions, whereas the PS4 has 7 Gb designated to gaming with only 1 gb to its other functions. Personally Id rather my console run faster and smoother then get up and switch my console off cause it’s only a few yards away I don’t need to be lazy.

8. Price:

Again I don’t want a Kinect or a Playstation eye, if the future of gaming is waving your hands about then something is seriously wrong I want to use my controller to play games.

Final Words:

Again for all of these reasons I am switching from Xbox to PS4, to me I felt Sony was interested in Gamers and how they can improve the experience for gamers, where as Microsoft have focused on what’s best for the publishers, but failed to realize that at the end of the day it’s the user that is the most important. Even when it comes down to exclusives Sony are putting these out across the board, whereas Microsoft have bulked theirs up with first person shooters and to be honest Id like to play a few more RPGs etc

Majinwakka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Ugh...I'm sick of everyone saying "PSN is SOO much worse than XBL..herp derp!"
Here, be educated:
http://kotaku.com/5939245/gold-vs-plus-how-sony-is-making-a-mockery-of-xbox-live
That's just a few facts.
Truth of the matter is that Sony is adding a proverbial "SHIT-TON" of server machines and the like to their network, as they've said in the E3 conference.
They've made it clear that multiplayer performance and network capabilities are going to be a much higher priority this time around for them.
XBL is currently giving 360 owners "free games" between now and the launch of the new hardware, but have you looked at what they're offering? Halo 3 was literally the only thing I considered downloading, but didn't because I already had it (I've traded it for something else since then, so if it's still available I may reconsider...but why bother, I have 4...oh well)
PSN will continue, even after the ps4 releases, to provide free games (GOOD games, too...games that were top-of-the-charts last year, or even just a few months ago), which you can keep and play as long as you are a subscribing member.
Also, MOST of the content on PSN, and the service itself for that matter, is cross-platform. This means that you are not required to pay extra to use that software on your ps3, ps4, vita, phone, pc, tablet, etc.
Also, as that link I shared points out, PAID SERVICES, like Netflix, are STILL FREE TO USE on PSN. Afterall, you've already paid for it, why shoud sony get money for letting you use for something you've already paid for? Microsoft doesn't care about that, though.
SO, pay about 60 bucks in order to be able to USE THE DAMNED INTERNET....(lose just about all features without subscription)
OR...
Pay about 50 bucks to get tons of extra content (Lose ONLY the extra content, and NOT the functionality of the system without subscription)

-_- so no more of this XBL > PSN bull-spank, please?

Majinwakka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Here, be educated:
http://kotaku.com/5939245/gold-vs-plus-how-sony-is-making-a-mockery-of-xbox-live
That's just a few facts.
Truth of the matter is that Sony is adding a proverbial "SHIT-TON" of server machines and the like to their network, as they've said in the E3 conference.
They've made it clear that multiplayer performance and network capabilities are going to be a much higher priority this time around for them.
XBL is currently giving 360 owners "free games" between now and the launch of the new hardware, but have you looked at what they're offering? Halo 3 was literally the only thing I considered downloading, but didn't because I already had it (I've traded it for something else since then, so if it's still available I may reconsider...but why bother, I have 4...oh well)
PSN will continue, even after the ps4 releases, to provide free games (GOOD games, too...games that were top-of-the-charts last year, or even just a few months ago), which you can keep and play as long as you are a subscribing member.
Also, MOST of the content on PSN, and the service itself for that matter, is cross-platform. This means that you are not required to pay extra to use that software on your ps3, ps4, vita, phone, pc, tablet, etc.
Also, as that link I shared points out, PAID SERVICES, like Netflix, are STILL FREE TO USE on PSN. Afterall, you've already paid for it, why shoud sony get money for letting you use for something you've already paid for? Microsoft doesn't care about that, though.
SO, pay about 60 bucks in order to be able to USE THE DAMNED INTERNET....(lose just about all features without subscription)
OR...
Pay about 50 bucks to get tons of extra content (Lose ONLY the extra content, and NOT the functionality of the system without subscription)

Majinwakka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Here, be educated:
That's just a few facts.
OR...

Majinwakka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Here, be educated:
That's just a few facts.
OR...

GFrog

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Hey, i work away from home and stay in motels 3/4 of my life, most motels i stay in have no wi-fi or charge through the teeth to use it... this is the reason i will not get XBone... i want to relax after work and play a few games and that's impossible 99% of the time with an XBone... and saying that this makes me a minority is just ridiculous, you cant pigeon hole people as being a minority and ignore their problems with your product just because they are a minority... it's not like it would've been more expensive to make if they allowed offline gaming... they have made a clear decision that the MINORITY aren't important enough and they are going to target the MAJORITY instead of EVERYONE like they probably should have