Xbox 360 and Windows 7 Media center .. anyone?

miked79

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
First off been working with computers for 10 years. Im extremely frustrated over this , that I cannot get this to work. It worked before, I changed nothing, then 1 day it just stopped working. I updated nothing, changed nothing, added nothing.

I have win 7 ultimate. And the new xbox 360 slim running on wireless. I have a static Ip for my xbox, and my router settings are set to DMZ it.

I have network discovery on.
Media streaming on.
Media Center Extender serivce on
MCE is set to go through windows firewall.
UPnP is enabled and running

Im on Home Network.

My xbox does not recognize my PC. So every time I select media center on the XBOX , it wants me to set it up. ( with the 8 digit key )
I put the key in like normal on the PC's Windows Media Center, and it tells me it cannot find the extender.
Note everytime its unable to find the Extender and fails to connect, I check my services on the PC, And Windows Media Center Extender Service gets disabled, and it also gets unchecked on the Windows Firewall.

I have tried disabling windows firewall and my personal firewall . Same problem.
I have tried wired connection and DHCP with xbox. Same problem
Reset router / modem . Manually Port forwarded xbox. Same problem

My event log gives me this error ( everytime WMC cannot connect to the Xbox )
Event ID 538 Media Center Extender Setup failed as the Extender WAS detected on the network but the UPnP search for the Extender failed (timed out after 20000ms).

Anyone have ANY clue what the problem is? Thanks

PS Xbox live works just fine.

Solution
Hey, I was having the exact same problem and this is how i fixed it so hopefully it works for you. On your computer open the start meu and search for "services". Open this program and scroll down to "UPnP Device Host". Right click on this and select "properties" then change it from manual to automatic start up. Go back to the list, right click again and click "restart". Once it restarts thats it and your PC should find your XBOX now. Hope this helps!

jenmovies

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Did you ever fix this? I'm having the same problem. Can someone please put a definitive answer up?

I have:

xbox 360 slim
windows 7 laptop
billion 7800n router

ALL I want to do is stream from the PC to the Xbox. Neither device recognizes the other. I have been reading forums for 3 hours. Can anyone help please???

I'm so frustrated because with XP and my old XBox 360, I got this working instantly. Argh!

lukergrt

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hey, I was having the exact same problem and this is how i fixed it so hopefully it works for you. On your computer open the start meu and search for "services". Open this program and scroll down to "UPnP Device Host". Right click on this and select "properties" then change it from manual to automatic start up. Go back to the list, right click again and click "restart". Once it restarts thats it and your PC should find your XBOX now. Hope this helps!

Solution

evergreen111

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

I registered on this forum just to thank you for your fix because it worked perfectly for me !!

anyone with error "Media Center Extender Setup failed as the Extender was detected on the network but the UPnP search for the Extender failed (timed out after 20000ms)." should use this solution.

Thank you Lukergrt!

ogie17

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

Thank you lord lukergrt

Paul W

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Wow!!!! I've been searching the net for days and have tried many things. Finally a solution that resolved my problem. Thanks Man.

m00mbahtony

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Sweet Jesus you are a gift from God. How do I send you my soul?

spongepimp

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

You sir, are fucking awesome!! Thank you for sharing your godly knowledge!

bigricom

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

Kid I would suck your cock if i was gay!! Your fuckn awesome!!

schjmftw

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014

OMG, TY so very much. Saved me a ton of problems and headaches!!!!

HTPCFanatic

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

Your answer was exactly right!! I just wanted to add something as I had another issue after my Xbox360 was located during setup. While on the configuring extender part of the setup, (after my xbox360 connected thanks to your solution) it came back with a configuration error. Here is the solution:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/connections/configuration-error

Once you do this, it may still come back with the error, just wait 30 seconds and try setting up extender again. Worked like a charm (a mysterious magical one)!

BattleKender

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

"lukergrt" for President! Seriously, i've been scouring the xboxlive, windows media center, microsoft Win7 websites for at least 13 hours straight trying to find this answer. I did everything the sites told me to do to my PC, my xbox360, AND my router and NOTHING they had to offer helped. In a fit of frustration i attacked google looking for an answer. YOU, sir or madaam, deserve dinner, a vacation cruise, and an award for what you've helped me (and many others if i read correctly) with. And it was SO simple! Compared to what those OTHER "helpful" sites had me doing.
As someone else mentioned, i only registered on this site to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to you. So...
THANK YOU "lukergrt!"!!!1!!!1 Very very much. (Does my excitement and thanks come across? I hope it does.)

Thank you, one last time,
BattleKender.

HelgenX

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

You are the best person in the world.

BLV

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
I am new to the forum tonight and I am searching like a needle in a haystack for a solution to the same problem everyone here in the forum has experienced and have tried the same thing here and it did not work for me.
Any HELP? please!! thanks a million!!!!!