Xbox 360 controller 4 flashing green lights

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Hi there.

I have an xbox 360 controller for my PC (I hope this is the right section to post) and it's recently been having the "problem" mentioned in the title. All four lights are flashing in green. It's wired, connected to the PC and it works just fine. Is this some kind of warning? Obviously it is, but I mean something dangerous.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

I know for the xbox version you need to resync it to the console. Being this is a computer issue try uninstalling the drivers for it and reinstalling the drivers. Or, maybe look for a newer version of the driver; it should be automatically updating with windows update though.

putthisasit

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

I know for the xbox version you need to resync it to the console. Being this is a computer issue try uninstalling the drivers for it and reinstalling the drivers. Or, maybe look for a newer version of the driver; it should be automatically updating with windows update though.

Solution

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
It didn't come with a driver in the box. It installed automatically when I first plugged it in. I recently did a windows reinstall so the drivers should be up to date, but I'll see what I can find online.

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I was just about to go look for some drivers and then I saw that it's showing the 1 normal light in the upper left part of the circle. Guess I won't do anything for now, but I will ask if it starts acting weird.

tullman3

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

i have a wired controller that was working fine but one day just stopped working and now its flashing 4 green lights. it is wired and i have no clue what to do. want it to work for xbox 360

meatee

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I just ran into this problem on Windows 8.1 with a wireless 360 controller. After not finding much help through Google searches (none of the suggestions worked for me), I finally fixed it by clearing out all the USB devices in the system registry. Here's how I did that:

1) Disconnect everything plugged into a USB port (except your mouse/keyboard).
2) Download USB Oblivion: http://code.google.com/p/usboblivion/
3) Run it and let it clean your registry of all traces of USB devices.
4) Restart your computer.
5) Connect the Wireless adapter for the 360 controller and wait for the drivers to reinstall.
6) Turn on your controller and sync it to the wireless adapter.

That should be it! My controller now properly shows the top-left light, and no more insane blinking!

Once everything was back to normal on the controller, I left the controller on while I hooked up my other USB devices, just in case. Everything's perfect now.

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
This is good to know, but in the end it turned out there was no real problem. You see, my controller would start acting like this if my PC would go to sleep with it still plugged in. And re-plugging it fixes everything, I just panicked over nothing :/

priest3332

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
The problem you're having isn't with drivers or anything like that. I had 3 xbox360 controllers do this to me, whether I was using it on my xbox360 console or my windows pc.

I actually returned a controller back to Best Buy before figuring out this simple neat little trick that will keep you using your controller for a very, very long time!

By the way, just before I began writing this reply, as of right now, my wired xbox360 controller was having serious disconnect issues. I did this same trick to my wireless xbox360 controller connected to my xbox360!

1. Find a twisty tie from a loaf of bread bag or for garbage bags.

2. The beginning of the controller wire, with the big circular piece that is around the wire, which is attached to the base of the controller, not the end with the USB connector, make a half loop and tie it with the twisty tie nice and tight so that the big circular piece remains elevated. See submitted picture. Oh wait I can't figure how to upload one! Other sites were easy to upload a pic so others could see what I'm talking about! Smh!

Anyhow, I believe that big plastic piece is causing the disconnection problem and if you keep it elevated it won't weigh down on the inner wiring. Give it a go! :)