Xbox 360 Controller on Windows 7 - Drivers not installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amirasi

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Hi,
I'm having a problem installing a wired 360 controller to my windows 7 64 bit pc.
I understand that there are lots of threads about this, but the software seems to be so badly designed that every problem is unique and most answers have little relevance to my problem.
When I plug the controller into the USB port, it says "USB device not recognized" and won't install the driver.
I have installed the driver software and it appears under the start menu, however when i try to manually update the driver via device manager, the driver does not appear in the menu. for clarity, I am talking about the 'manual driver update' process, I navigate to the Microsoft section but there is in the box is keyboard/officer drivers, no controller ones.
I read somewhere that this may be caused by permissions. but I am the only user on the system and so I have no idea how to remedy that.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Amirasi

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Yes, but their instructions are
>download drivers
>plug in controller
>play
Does not work for me, have tried multiple times. also when I contacted them they told me to pay for premium services so they could help me further. Bs if you ask me.

Rezeo

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
This is what worked for me in Windows 7 when the drivers for my Xbox 360 controller kept failing to install.

For the sake of other people finding this thread via search engines, I'll list all steps:

1. Download Xbox 360 Accessories here
2. Install that, then plug in your controller and wait for it to epically fail.
3. Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc)
4. Find and double-click the unrecognized driver which is probably called "Controller" under "Other devices"
5. Go to the "Driver" tab and hit "Update Driver". Hit "Browse for driver software". Hit "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
6. In the list, open Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class. Your 360 controller drivers should be in here. You might get a warning, just ignore it.
7. Game it up

Credit goes to Sparlight at smashboards.com. Here's the thread

Reactions: Steven Wilson

fitz the viking

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015

i joined this forum just to say thanks for this. been trying for days to get this working. worked a treat.

fitz the viking

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015

i joined this forum just to say thanks for this. been trying for days to get this working. worked a treat.

Madd_1

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

This does work, thanks man!

EmberMae

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015

Hi I've seen your answer on a few cites and I do think this is what I need to get my controller to work, but I have trouble with the last step. I've downloaded the driver from the Microsoft website but I don't see a folder labeled "Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class", so IDK what to download or do from here. I'm so close I've been working so hard on this

trigga_99

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
All of the above if it was a real Microsoft xbox pad then its just plug and play only the crap cheap generic versions require a driver and re mapping with is often off by a few millseconds when you use then by a 'real' pad save your self all this headacke !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.