Xbox 360 GPU Hits 65nm With "Jasper"

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

i just bought an elite, wonder if i will be getting this one.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
If you ask me Microcrap should never have had these problems. With a failure rate as high as 30 percent!! So what that means they built 2 or 4 prototypes and crapped out the leftovers. I give them some credit for what they have done with the additional features, the biggest being the achievements system. But that still doesn't make up for bad media decisions and poor testing. You can fix your OS with a SP 100 times over but this is completly unacceptable for a console.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]mizouse[/nom]i just bought an elite, wonder if i will be getting this one.[/citation]

i think that only the Arcade (no HDD) versions are getting the jasper motherboard currently. however, you probably got a Falcon Mobo, which is 65nm CPU 90nm GPU.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I hope no one is intentionally replacing a working XBox with one of these. MS doesn't need more money.

Microsoft should have planned this release a little better so they could pull all the older, still defective models from the shelves and stock the new models. I guess with record Black-Friday sales, they probably just sold-out the last of their 90nm stock. But in the end, they'll still have to replace 30% of those.

Oh, and what's up with on-board flash? I don't own a 360, but doesn't on-board flash, memory cards, and an optional HDD get messy?

vincent67

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
But doesn't XBox hardware look ridiculous compare to any PC with for example a simple Radeon 4870?

And since the XBox doesn't have BlueRay or the Wiimote controller,
this move doesn't really make it more attractive to my eyes.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I prefer Microsoft's approach of fixing the issues with thier system than Sony blunder of REMOVING options from theirs!

Also, why should Microsoft sell a Blueray addon? You can get Blueray players from $169.99 now as a stand-alone product anyway!

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Will ATI solve the GPU overheat problem on the PC?[/citation]

Overheating problem? The cards were meant to run high, cheaper hs = better price, silicon was good up to 120 Celcius.
Besides, they gave us control to fan speeds in one of the past catalysts.
With fan speed at 45% it idled in the high 40's.
I bought a heatsink and fan for $20 and my temps are around 35 idle, never pass 50C.

Some people act as if high temp cards were invented by ati's 4800 series, did someone skip the 8800gt era? :S

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]Overheating problem? The cards were meant to run high, cheaper hs = better price, silicon was good up to 120 Celcius.Besides, they gave us control to fan speeds in one of the past catalysts.With fan speed at 45% it idled in the high 40's.I bought a heatsink and fan for $20 and my temps are around 35 idle, never pass 50C.Some people act as if high temp cards were invented by ati's 4800 series, did someone skip the 8800gt era? :S[/citation]
Did somebody skip the 6xxx 7xxx era too?
Those cards didnt overheat too often, but they could (especially when room temp is around 50C)

computerninja7823

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]Overheating problem? The cards were meant to run high, cheaper hs = better price, silicon was good up to 120 Celcius.Besides, they gave us control to fan speeds in one of the past catalysts.With fan speed at 45% it idled in the high 40's.I bought a heatsink and fan for $20 and my temps are around 35 idle, never pass 50C.Some people act as if high temp cards were invented by ati's 4800 series, did someone skip the 8800gt era? :S[/citation]

i have to agree... unfortunately i do own a PNY 8800gt and it gets SO HOT!.....

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
[citation][nom]squatchman[/nom]^^ You realize you can buy a 360 for the price of that 4870. But you're forgetting that if you just buy the xbox, you won't have a computer either. So assume you already have a computer. You can either buy an xbox and play games, or buy a better video card for the same price. luck playing games with just a video card.[/citation]

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Wow, that's not what I wanted to do. SOmething is wrong with this comment box. Pretty much I just wanted to quote what squatchman said. And then sayy that people still need a computer, whether they buy an xbox or a videocard.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Well I ahve owned a 360 for about 2 years & it has many hours on it have not really had any problems with it yet & yes it does run hot. I also want to note that my 360 is properly placed in a vented area & not tucked away in some little corner with dirty clothes on top of it or worse in a entertainment unit with lots of other electronics that also produce lots of heat which in most cases would cause mots consumer electronics to fail.
By the way our local wal-fart has gone through at least 5 PS3'S & it has only been open for 1.5 years there is a out of order sign post over it alot & guess what it is in a sealed unit so yes I guess it fails too when it is not properly placed in a vented area.

I guess we all should get a wii at least we would not have to worry about it over heating since it is based on very old tech with little hardware in it to over heat...lol

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
oh just to clear it up yes I was kidding about the Wii..I would not tell anyone to go out & buy that & feel right about it as it is just way to over hyped for what it is.

G

Hey Rocky, Wii is Great :D with its crappy graphics, but I like it! great games, never tired of wii sport! but xbox 360, love it, even with this JASPER thing is coming, but my bro got a PS3 [ and i like it to ] so i cant get a 360, no more! :( good console, GoW2 and etc... such a shame there will not be a PC version

G

My 8800Ultra can't even play games w/o locking up at default fan speed. Have to use 100% fan speed and sometimes lower clock speed. Alot people, like me still going to buy Xbox360 because it is easy to play backups than PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.