Xbox One Can't Stand Vertically Due to Disc Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I Think i have bought my last Console. I have three 360's so i should be set for a long time. I have a high end PC so that will keep me busy as well.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

I thought that MS gave up on that after all of the fuss over check ins. Are they still doing the digital downloads?

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
mcd, they already do digital copies with the 360. Even if their XB1 policies change for how they handle them, it's extremely unlikely that they'll outright get rid of them.

sean1357

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Crap... I will stick with my PC gaming or get PS4 and then add water cooler...

Dual Xeon, Quad SLI, 256GB RAM, 6TB SSD, with 60" TV....

Amdlova

Distinguished

We need ps 10 or xbox 10000 to be best than your serverside

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
While being able to stand the console up would be a great option I don't think its a deal breaker. Personally, I'm a PS guy, but with GTA 5 out I don't see myself needing a new console for a long time.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I can guarantee you that a large proportion will try to vertically stand their console. The fact that they said do it at your own risk means they haven't even properly tested it to see if that causes damage. That is totally irresponsible. It's unbelievable how stupid Microsoft is. How are they a successful business? Vendor lock-in; that's all.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Have you seen the PS4? That doesn't look like something that's meant to stand up. Nor have they ever designed the PlayStation that way.

I think having it stand up is useless anyways, I won't miss it

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
It's fairly obvious they're trying to drive home a particular theme for this device. I doubt there is any functional reason that the optical drive itself will not function turned 90 degrees. I just think they have a specific vision of how they want the console to be set up, didn't test it for alternatives, and are simply saying "we don't know, we're not sure, so give it a shot if you want". Wasn't planning on getting one anyway (obviously not gonna quibble over this) but positioning consoles vertical is just a plain and simple space saving option. I'm sure they'll do it with XBOne ver. 2.0. It really can't be that difficult to pull off if there is some sort of functional issue.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Actually, the PS2 and PS3 were designed to stand vertical as well. Evidence is in the fact that the PS logo could be physically altered between the two orientations so that PS is always upright whether the system is set vertically or horizontally.

FFH

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Yeah I agree with the article. My PS3 has been standing vertically since 2009. I've never had a problem with it playing video games or blu-ray movies. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work vertically.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
John Bauer

If the PS4 should not stand vertically and is shaped so that it cannot stand in that orientation anyway, then that is responsible design, but if it shouldn't stand vertically and it can stand in a vertical orientation, then that is totally stupidly irresponsible design.

back_by_demand

There is something wrong with you if you think this constitutes adequate warning. If the Xbox One does what you say then they have the right to sue Microsoft. Microsoft should be in a feces blizzard like when the scratched disks and RROD happened with the Xbox 360. Maybe you should go work for Microsoft to help fly them into the ground totally vertically to finish them off once and for all while minimizing collateral damage.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
@clonazepam: Agreed. In fact, it makes me laugh when I see someone with a nice TV stand with an empty space, yet for some reason their xbox360 is sitting vertically to the left or right side of the TV...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Indignant spectic, a Winnabago has cruise control but one time a guy got up while driving to go in the back and make a cup of coffee. After he survived the multicar freeway crash he successfully sued the Winnabago company because the user manual did not specifically state that the cruise control wouldn't drive for him. This led to all user manuals being recalled and reissued with the amendment. So of course I don't expect any level of forewarning to avert suing because that's all people know, to do something possible, but advised against, then blaming the manufacturer for doing something stupid they were told not to. Why don't you feed a hosepipe from your car exhaust through the window and run the engine for a while too, that's possible but advised against too but at least I won't have to listen to your idiotic anti-Microsoft rant again.

Status
Not open for further replies.