Xbox One Can't Stand Vertically Due to Disc Drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I learn something new every day

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
What kind of crappy slot loading drives is MS buying. Because the PS3 fat and slim, iMac's and Wii's and wiiu's have no problem running vertically.

Well.. for 500 dollars you can build a better PC than xBox one. Don't believe me? Look at this one right here.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1G1QH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1G1QH/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1G1QH/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($21.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($33.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $513.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-21 08:25 EDT-0400)

Had it been PS4, then things would be different. But xbox is clearly overpriced in my opinion.

^^ fx6300 + radeon 7870 with only a cx430w? can it fit xbone(R)'s case? no? where are the near-machine level software optimizations? the psu is inadequate, thers's no room for o.c. fx6300's stock gaming performance isn't that good in cpu-demanding situations.

edit: you're comparing those components' current price (after multiple price drops) to the console components' launch price. why not be fair and try comparing launch prices of both, see if they still fit? :D

^^ That was just by mistake and it has been corrected. There was one part left over from the build I previously planned for someone else, hence got mixed up. It has been updated with OCZ 550W Fatal1ty PSU.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

The PS4 can be used vertically, Sony will even have a vertical stand on sale.

InvalidError

Titan
On the plus side, it is a flat rectangular thing which makes it somewhat more stackable.

I miss the days where nearly all AV equipment was 18" wide. Everything stacked neatly with just about anything else.

Don't forget the rubber feet that were on both the bottom and side, intentionally supporting both orientations.

A vertical orientation exposes more surface area to surrounding air, aiding in cooling. Considering how many 360s died to heat overload . . .

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I see people that say "After 6 360s, I did stopped buying them" I must be an outlier, because my Day one 360 lasted me near 8 years, in the horizontal orientation. It was on probably 18 hours a day for 8 years. NEVER had a problem.

I've been a lucky consumer on a few things as well, but I don't discount others' experience. My first-gen PS3 has been going strong for nearly six years, even with long F@H sessions ( obviously in the past. ) My brother has gone through three 360s so far as I know ( and he had to hammer on MS service to get some fixed when they sent them back untouched. )

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
"Gamers don't have a life, because they choose to have many."

John, I have to ask... Do you really believe this, or do you consider it a rationalization? I ask this as someone who has dumped thousands upon thousands of hours into games since I started over two decades ago.

spanky247

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
ive jst got xbox1 and it wont let me load the disc jst goes half way and starts making weird noise ararara so pissed off

Status
Not open for further replies.