[SOLVED] Xbox Series controller doing strange things to my computer (black screen, possibly graphics card related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpencerSDH

Honorable
Jan 24, 2015
So this is a bit of an odd issue. Whenever I play games with my Series controller plugged in (bluetooth latency is awful), every once and a while, both of my monitors will flash black and then come back. This can (but not always) cause both Steam and Discord windows to turn black, so that even closing and reopening the window doesn't fix it. I have to close both programs and reopen them to make them usable again. They are the only programs that do this. It doesn't happen when the controller is just plugged in, and it doesn't even happen when playing a game with mouse and keyboard while the controller is plugged in. It only happens when playing a game with the controller itself.

I've updated the drivers and it still happens. Need help.

Specs are:
Windows 10 64 bit
1060 (laptop)
i7-7700HQ

Reactions: prolercoaster
Aug 31, 2021
So its been some time since you posted this but I have to ask.

Did updating the controller actually fix the issue I am having the exact same issue and want to know if you ever encountered the problem again.

SpencerSDH

Honorable
Jan 24, 2015
So its been some time since you posted this but I have to ask.

Did updating the controller actually fix the issue I am having the exact same issue and want to know if you ever encountered the problem again.
Yes it did. You need the Xbox Accessories app from the Microsoft Store (It's free). Once I updated the firmware, the problem stopped completely. Never happened again.

Aug 31, 2021
Yes it did. You need the Xbox Accessories app from the Microsoft Store (It's free). Once I updated the firmware, the problem stopped completely. Never happened again.

Right I updated my controler but haven't had a chance to test it. I was going crazy trying to fix this issue. I even bought a new power supply thinking that was causing the issue.

But it is funny how a simple thing like that can cause this kind of issue

Sep 30, 2021
I just registered to say THANK YOU!
I just installed the firmware using the Xbox Accesories app, lets hope it fixed it!!

Sep 30, 2021
Right I updated my controler but haven't had a chance to test it. I was going crazy trying to fix this issue. I even bought a new power supply thinking that was causing the issue.

But it is funny how a simple thing like that can cause this kind of issue
Hey sir! Did updating the drivers fix your issue? I just did the same with mine and I want to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.