XCOM is Back... But as a First Person Shooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Hmm...not sure what to think about this yet. It being a FPS doesn't do justice to the classic turn by turn strategy that was in the original.

I'll try to keep an open mind, but I have fond memories staying up late playing the Original XCOM, so I'll have to reserve judgement on this one.

G

Xcom:TFTD = best game ever. I wonder if the alien torpedo launcher with the programmable flight path will make it into the fps? hahah

G

This is rubbish. The world don't need another FPS, there's more FPS out there than stars in the entire Milky Way galaxy. What we need is an updated Direct X 11 turn based XCOM!!

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I hope it's not like you can't move while the alien is attacking. Why not make both 1st person and 3rd person? I really hope it will have a good story and lots of cut scenes. Please don't make it cheap. Native DirectX 11 is must! Port it to XBOX360 then... A classic like this must have special attention in every way.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Boooo. I almost got excited about this until I read FPS. I have nothing against FPS games. But X-COM is to turn based combat strategy what Civilization is to turn based world conquest strategy. It was without equal in its time. I'm glad to see the franchise revived, but not as an FPS. Real-time strategy I could have handled.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I hope they overdue the main characters lines.... It needs to be intense..

oh, and who cares about graphics anymore, clearly people only care about a sweet looking game...

oh wait, they will do nothing for the story line, or the story, another fail =/

shotgunpadre

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Xcom: Enforcer was fun, but no classic. the same thing will happen again and this game will get points like 60-70 and won't be remembered after decades.

uiron

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Wasn`t there one terrible FPS attemt that gave bad name for X-Com franchise alredy ? (Named "X-Com: Enfrocer") why make another ?
If you realy liked x-com you should play UFO: Afterlife - that is best succeeder to original game with good 3d graphics. ( There is UFO: Aftermatch and UFO: Aftershock too, but they aren`t so good )

Original game was one of the best Tatics+Strategy game ever. It would be realy hard to make worthwile FPS game.

G

hm, what ? FPS ?
youre kidding, right ?
is like making Civilisation a shooter LOL, shooting ppl in the city,
or imagine Settlers a shooter,
why not a FIFA shooter ?
its just ridiculous!

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
hmmm interesting ... this could make a very good online coop campaign. let's hope they don't mess up the story with a world savin hero ...

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Yea, 2K is amazing at producing good fps games like bioshock 2 which crashes every 5 minutes and had millions of problems!! Nice...

ahh xcom; turn based = good, strategy = good, teamwork = good; altogether it was a great game and pretty good series, i just dont know how they will implement it as a FPS. The whole goal was getting congruity with the team of soldiers you had...

little concerned about this, although i will play the original tonight... :p

Zenthar

Distinguished
I like FPS, but not all concepts are good for "FPS"; Fallout 3 (might not be a "true" FPS) was great, but Shadowrun (I'm a fan of the RPG so I'm biased) was total crap.

If they do X-COM the Fallout way, I think it could be very nice indeed, otherwise I will probably just pretend it never existed like the final 2 Matrix movies.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I loved to old game...both of the original turn-based ones were fantastic. I wish I could still play them - they don't require much on the CPU.

Hoping this FPS is OK, but I'm getting a little tired of average games in the FPS genre.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]huron[/nom]I loved to old game...both of the original turn-based ones were fantastic. I wish I could still play them - they don't require much on the CPU. Hoping this FPS is OK, but I'm getting a little tired of average games in the FPS genre.[/citation]

Actually there were 3 in the turnbased series. X-Com Unkown Enemy,X-Com Terror from the Deep, and X-Com Apocolypse.
All three were awesome games. I spent many, many hours on all three.
If you liked those try the Homages to the X-Com franchise. UFO Afterlife, Aftermath, and Aftershock. They are also very good games.

I am curious to see how this turns out. Let's not forget that Fallout fans were skeptical of how Fallout 3 would work out and I personally loved the game. The one thing I see as a drawback is the awesome tactical and strategic layers of the game will translate into an FPS.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
And with this iteration, the Xcom name will be ruined. I have owned every Xcom to date and I am sorry to say that I will not be buying this game.

Why cant they just remake the original xcom with better graphics and win7 support? I can guarantee that it would be flying off the shelves

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]snurp85[/nom]And with this iteration, the Xcom name will be ruined. I have owned every Xcom to date and I am sorry to say that I will not be buying this game. Why cant they just remake the original xcom with better graphics and win7 support? I can guarantee that it would be flying off the shelves[/citation]
After some thought I agree. An up to date re-dux would be better than entry into a new genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.