Question Xeon 1650 v3 can overclock right?

judahg460

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
Howdy, so just recently got a xeon 1650 v3. Been reading everywhere that the v3 16xx xeons are overclockable so i went for it. I paired it with a GA-X99-Gaming 5p mobo, and then updated the bios to the newest once I got it. Well, when I go into the bios to change any cpu settings they arent accessible.

Oddly enough they have a bunch of presets for i7 cpus and when i use those it changes the clockspeed, but i dont trust them as i cant set voltage or anything myself

Should i try a different bios version? Or am I missing something?

Depending on what mode the BIOS is in you might not see the options. There should be a classic option, but I don't recall where the settings for these are.

Nothing should be locked out with the BIOS, but I'd suggest checking XTU in Windows to see if it can be modified there.

judahg460

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
The processor? This says, yes, you can. Are you sure you don't have an ES labelled on your processor's IHS?
Yeah im pretty sure its not, but ill double check. Heres the link to where I got it.

Depending on what mode the BIOS is in you might not see the options. There should be a classic option, but I don't recall where the settings for these are.

Nothing should be locked out with the BIOS, but I'd suggest checking XTU in Windows to see if it can be modified there.
When i got it it had the classic option and everything was grayed out. So i thought hey, lets update the bios, see what that does. Bios is all bougie now but still no oc options.

Will check xtu and pull off my cooler to look at the ihs

judahg460

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
Ok got xtu going and was a bit confused. I was able to get a verified overclock using the software but quite a few options were grayed out still. The opening page as you see says that the cpu is fully able to be overclocked. I got it to 4.1 ghz @ 1.11v stable, and ran benchmarks vs base clocks. Maxed at like 75c, which i think is on the high side for these cpus

Holy crap i love this cpu, it outperforms base clock i7’s of comparable generations already at 4.1 ghz. If i get better cooling, this thing will overclock to demolish any of the broadwell/haswell i7’s in single thread performance, which for a $10 cpu is pretty sick.

Anyway thats all non issue, if i can overclock in windows, why would the bios be giving me trouble? Maybe i need to roll back the bios a little bit? I know gigabyte has a few other older versions available, not sure if that would make a difference though