[SOLVED] Xeon Compatibility

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
I was given a build that inculded a MSI H55m-E21 mobo and and i3-540 CPU. The CPU is usless to me but I want to make use of everthing else so I was thinking of puting a Xeon in it. I was thinking of using the x3470 or x3480 CPUs because i can get them for around $30 where i live but neither of them say they are compatible with the board. I've read online about people that have gotten them to work though, some say its just 'plug and play' others say you just need the right bios version. Anyway, im hoping someone that has some experience with these chips and/or boards can tell me if it will work or what i can do to make it work.

Maybe you think a xeon is a silly thing to use here, if so please tell me why and maybe what a better (cheaper) option would be. I not sure yet of other parts i plan to include in the build.

Solution
I was given a build that inculded a MSI H55m-E21 mobo and and i3-540 CPU. The CPU is usless to me but I want to make use of everthing else so I was thinking of puting a Xeon in it. I was thinking of using the x3470 or x3480 CPUs because i can get them for around $30 where i live but neither of them say they are compatible with the board. I've read online about people that have gotten them to work though, some say its just 'plug and play' others say you just need the right bios version. Anyway, im hoping someone that has some experience with these chips and/or boards can tell me if it will work or what i can do to make it work.

Maybe you think a xeon is a silly thing to use here, if so please tell me why and maybe what a better...

Maybe you think a xeon is a silly thing to use here, if so please tell me why and maybe what a better (cheaper) option would be. I not sure yet of other parts i plan to include in the build.
If you go with unsupported parts your on your own.
You might want to look at some of the limits on that mobo.
8GB ram.
ddr3.
Sata2.

Xeon not listed for your motherboard in manufacturer official site, https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H55ME21/Specification .

Most likely does not support xeon.

Solution