[SOLVED] Xeon L3426 Compatible with Dell PowerEdge T110?

bhogervorst

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015
I own a Dell PowerEdge T110 1st Gen (Not to be confused with the T110 II).

It currently has a Xeon X3430 which is a decent CPU, but I want to get more out of this server. I've found a compelling processor which seems like it would be compatible with my PowerEdge T110 for under $25 used on eBay. The processor I've found is the Xeon L3426, it has the same socket (LGA1156) and is from the same year as the X3430. This upgrade seems compelling enough but I've learned over the years that just because a processor "fits", doesn't mean it will work.

X3430 Specs:

• 2.4GHz - 2.8GHz Turbo
    95W TDP
    4 Cores 4 Threads
L3426 Specs:

• 1.86GHz - 3.2GHz Turbo
    45W TDP
    4 Cores 8 Threads
This upgrade is worth it to me because I run my server 24/7 and do a lot of multi-core processing where 8 threads will be helpful. The 45W TDP and 1.86GHz clockspeed will also help with power consumption and heat when the server is idle.
While I know there are other upgrade options like the X3480, those things go for as much as $150 on eBay used.
My question is, is this CPU compatible. I'd love any feedback I can get from anyone who's tried it or knows why or why not it would work.

Thank you!
-bhogervorst

Solution
Hi! I have the T110 motherboard and am using it as my main rig with an i3 currently. I've not found any up-to-date information on this board and it's compatibility between CPU's so can I ask if it worked after? I'll be upgrading the CPU at some point in the future and there is a 2018 BIOS update patching some security vulnerabilities, just wondering if you have any information. I'd love to be able to put an i7 in it but from what I've read it ain't gonna happen, I'll likely go with thr same Xeon chip that you were looking into.

bhogervorst

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015

James, the response you gave makes sense.

I have since done some research into the matter and found a few more things:
Firstly, I also have a PowerEdge R210 1st Gen Rack-mount server with the same Xeon X3430 as my PowerEdge T110. The two servers are very similar. I've seen R210's on eBay with the Xeon L3426 that appear to work. With the R210 and T110 1st Gen being so similar, I am inclined to believe that this processor would work in both. But as you suggested, these are not "one size fits all" motherboards even between similar models.

Also, the technical guide for the T110 2nd Gen (here, p.8) gives a comparison between the first and second generation T110 servers where it states that the "Quad-core Intel Xeon processor 3400 series" processors are compatible with the T110 1st Gen. In a "Xeon 3400 Series Product Brief" PDF found on Intel's website (here, p.7), Intel lists Xeons X3430 through X3480 and L3426 and L3406 all as 3400 Series processors being launched at the same time.

Like you said, this processor might not work in a specific motherboard but if Dell's own CPU support list list's "3400 Series Xeons" wouldn't "3400 Series Xeons" work with my T110 1st gen?

Thank you,
-bhogervorst

It certainly seems like it should work, they're in the same family.
The oddest thing is why doesn't your x3430 have hyperthreading, because.... well it probably should be able to >_>
But then again, all you gain with a l3426 is hyperthreading, which is more threads, but not necesarily more processing power.
That "lower TDP" thing doesn't actually mean the CPU will use less power when running at full speed, just less speed at idle.
also, when all 4 cores of the l3426 it will clock down to 2.1ghz which is slower than your current CPU which only slows down to 2.5ghz, so that could in theory provide less performance.

bhogervorst

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015

Thank you for the response,

I have wondered why my X3430 of all the 3400-Series processors doesn't have HyperTheading - it's a bummer and super weird. I do know that with any HT processor, I won't get extra single-core performance, but it will help with multi-threaded applications like video rendering at least slightly.

About the lower TDP, I don't at all mind that the power consumption under load might be as much or more, it's consumption at idle which matters to me, because my server is at idle A LOT. My goal for this server is to have a power efficient machine when I don't need it and a powerful machine when I do.

If all seems like it should work, I might just go for it and then post back what I find. If it doesn't work I'll just try and flip the L3426 again on eBay if I can and then pick up an X3450 or X3460.

Thanks,
-bhogervorst

Aug 15, 2019
Hi! I have the T110 motherboard and am using it as my main rig with an i3 currently. I've not found any up-to-date information on this board and it's compatibility between CPU's so can I ask if it worked after? I'll be upgrading the CPU at some point in the future and there is a 2018 BIOS update patching some security vulnerabilities, just wondering if you have any information. I'd love to be able to put an i7 in it but from what I've read it ain't gonna happen, I'll likely go with thr same Xeon chip that you were looking into.

Solution
Aug 18, 2019

Thank you for the response,

I have wondered why my X3430 of all the 3400-Series processors doesn't have HyperTheading - it's a bummer and super weird. I do know that with any HT processor, I won't get extra single-core performance, but it will help with multi-threaded applications like video rendering at least slightly.

About the lower TDP, I don't at all mind that the power consumption under load might be as much or more, it's consumption at idle which matters to me, because my server is at idle A LOT. My goal for this server is to have a power efficient machine when I don't need it and a powerful machine when I do.

If all seems like it should work, I might just go for it and then post back what I find. If it doesn't work I'll just try and flip the L3426 again on eBay if I can and then pick up an X3450 or X3460.

Thanks,
-bhogervorst

Did your L3426 cpu post in your T110? I have the exact same machine and same questions.

bhogervorst

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015
Whoops, I never ended up doing this.
Still have my T110. I eventually put some drives in it and used it as a Windows-based NAS setup, before switching to a proper ZFS Linux NAS setup with OMV. It's a great system still!

I am now once again revisiting this question though, because I don't need performance and am not limited by it, and I'd like to improve my power consumption. I'm reading back through my posts and just now realizing just how BS my reasoning for needing the upgrade initially was, I wasn't even using the machine as a NAS.

But wait...what the heck...now that i'm actually looking on eBay for an L3426, there aren't any for reasonable prices. What the actual heck. I may just have to settle for an L3406 :(

I'll update if I end up buying something and trying it out. Otherwise, assume I just forgot about it this again and maybe i'll revisit it in another 3 years.

B