Xeon tweak for games

TwinDenis

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
Could we tweak best xeon for gaming?
I know it is not that good for games they said, I have stutters and dell says it is because it is not for games but it is more expensive and worse? makes no sense, is there a way to make it work for games to not stutter ? its no because of gpu and no because of mobo or somethin, tried everythin, dell says it is the cpu its not for games and they wont help more, so its dell precision t3600, tried os and virus and drivers stuff and all those things ppl say in this forum, pls help.

emdea22

Distinguished
First of all you bought a workstation for gaming - you payed extra for error correcting memory , features and support for servers and general productivity applications including increased stability and diagnostics. On top of this, rather than built it yourself, you decided to go OEM style. Now the hardware part:

-the Xeon - only turbos to 3.5 - its freq is actually 2.9 which is not nearly enough for games
-Motherboard is custom - may have limited functionality when it comes to:
-max tdp allowed
-PCI-e bandwidth and compatibility with mostly single precision cards (gaming GPUs)
-May have features that aren't optimized for games but are crucial for intended usage
-cooling of the CPU and Motherboard is probably not designed to cope with extra heat from the 770

What will help most:
Considering its an OEM mobo - overclocking might be out of the question but if you can raise the cpu to about 3.6-3.7 and disable turbo and ht and any power management and workstation specific optimizations in the bios - you might make it run properly in games. As i said before - most of these settings are caused by the OEM motherboard, if you had built it yourself the story would have been different.

TwinDenis

Distinguished
May 8, 2014

considering the facts, since I did not know about desktops back then I asked an "expert" about a pc that would be great and high end for both games and work, he insisted on this one and so here it is, now I do not know anything besides the basics but when it comes to software I have experience, the components are healthy as it seems but somehow I lack performance. I want to know how to do each suggested step.

TwinDenis

Distinguished
May 8, 2014

how to change the clock speeds? in the bios I do not see something that says so.