XFX 6870 BE, PhysX needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfij

Titan
Hey there.

I'm currently looking at my Rig1 config and was thinking if i should need a dedicated PhysX card. I play Shift2 unleashed, Crysis 2 and there are a few other games out there that will work onto my pc. Mafia is also one title i haven't had the time to install.

So question is: heat-ware or eye-candy-ware?

Lately I'll be going to get a 750 Tt Toughpower Grand 80+ gold PSU. If PhysX is not the way to go - I was also thinking of Xfiring the BE with another 6870 BE.

Thoughts and input are all appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
There's only 21 games out/coming out that use PhysX acceleration. Of the ones you mentioned, only Mafia 2 uses it. http://physxinfo.com

Personally I'd rather CF 6870 for high graphical settings over a little eye candy in a couple games.
The way physX is programmed requires an nvidia card to run it adequately. It can be run on the CPU but it is so badly gimped when running via CPU that even if you have a top of the line CPU that is overclocked, you would still see a huge performance hit using the physX. You'd probably get reduced to 20FPS or lower with physX on, regardless of CPU or non nvidia GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.