XFX 7850 Dual monitors issues

Dmcgee1980

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Hello!

I recently picked up an FX6300 CPU and an Asus M5A78L-MX Plus motherboard. I was fixing up an old rig that stopped working. I had a spare monitor due to a prior upgrade and wanted to use both while I was playing games etc. The Graphics card has two DVI ports, one labeled VGA and another that is not. I only have VGA on one of the monitors and I don't have a DVI cable to use for the other even though it has the input. When I use a vga to DVI adapter on both monitors I do not get any display on the second monitor. Is it possible to use both without buying a DVI cable? I was assuming at this point that I'll need to plug one in via DVI cable and the other one into the DVI port labeled VGA with an adapter and set up the DVI only one to be the primary. If it is possible to do this without getting a new cable, I'd love to hear about how!

Solution
Hello... Using all Digital signals from your Card, is the always the best speed, and Display. Use HDMI, DVI, and Display port cables to your monitors, and avoid VGA and their adaptors when possible. VGA ( analog ) is starting to be phased out in modern Video Card and Monitor product lines, And I want you to be aware of that, if you are considering future inverstments with multi monitors.
Can you link me to your Video card web page? so as to have more detail info about your product.
Here is picture and "Pin out" of a DVI connector http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface available VGA ( analog ) pins will be around the " + " , or one side of a DVI connector.

Dmcgee1980

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
So, Ironsounds, at that point a DVI cable between the main monitor and the non VGA DVI port and then a VGA cable with the adapter between the second monitor and the DVI port labeled VGA would have both monitors up and running? If I wanted to add a third monitor I'd need a displayport cable or a VGA splitter, I'm guessing?

Hello... Using all Digital signals from your Card, is the always the best speed, and Display. Use HDMI, DVI, and Display port cables to your monitors, and avoid VGA and their adaptors when possible. VGA ( analog ) is starting to be phased out in modern Video Card and Monitor product lines, And I want you to be aware of that, if you are considering future inverstments with multi monitors.
Can you link me to your Video card web page? so as to have more detail info about your product.
Here is picture and "Pin out" of a DVI connector http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface available VGA ( analog ) pins will be around the " + " , or one side of a DVI connector.

Solution