XFX HD7950 gettinq too hot! please help guys

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Locopatre

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
hello,
i have build my first pc, but the GPU temperatures are getting too hot while gaming.
i have 2 HD7950's and they are close together(matx), i also get high temps with one GPU.
2 GPU: 38-42C when idle, 88-99C when gaming(under load)
1 GPU: 42C when. idle, 85C when gaming(under load)
i have 3 fans installed, one front 120mm(inhale) one side 120mm(inhale) one back 80mm(exhaust)
-i even tried with the side removed, i still get the same temps if not higher.
-i also tried wirh the side removed and one big housefan blowing air at the fans! it got 80C while gaming with 1GPU.
-i also tried both gpus at once= same stats..
it is really bothering me because i have a new matx motherboard so i cant buy a new case and big mobo, maybe u can return the mobo...
please help me guys i appreceate it
sorry for my bad english.

Solution
I don't see it. it just looks like you got hot running cards I mean you said you had a house fan blowing straight on them just to get them to 80c seems like a lot of wind pushing on them that's about direct air flow as it gets .. funny thing is I done this with my computer to see how much cooler it would run and the temps stayed the same but there fans would spin down to maintain the same running temp.. with out house fan 64c @ 34% fan speed with house fan 64c @ 31% fan speed so it was like this card is running 64c at full load no mater how much air I pushed to it
ya that's true but is that extra slot x16 and will the bridge reach over there? with intel its the two slots at 8x8 and the outer slots are not there like 4x so your still kinda stuck using the same slots for x-fire right?

the paste thing[should be a tape or pads] could be true if you wanted to risk taking the card apart and cause more damage in some silly way [$h1t happens] I had a NVidia card that had melted away the thermal tape don't know if you can see up in there to tell what the deal is on that with the cover still on

Locopatre

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

nah i will get a board with good space between the x16 lanes,
what do u mean by "don't know if you can see up in there to tell what the deal is on that with the cover still on"
what happend with the nvidia card after u put new thermal tape on it?

I did not do a thing chunked it and just got a newer card it was also in a sli set up went with a 6850

'' i will get a board with good space between the x16 lanes'' I figured they were set to a standard spacing to fit the case slots and I was looking to see if that pic of the board that the cards were apart was a intel board with the plx chip and that's why he was able to do that

you need an open vent closer to the gpu and all the fans pushing the air out at full force and ...this way you will passively cool the system with the rooms ambient air while spitting hot air out of the case... try it... it might help you
ps: i have an idea....... if possible add a Deep cool x fan 5 between the gpus.... it will defenitely help....

Locopatre

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
i kind of fixed it guys! dont know how but i did it... lol, i also put the case on the side and noticed that the gpu's were pushing all the hot air to the side, instead of under them, so i made the side fan an exhaust to let all the hot air out. and this matx board i have has 3 good pci-e's so i set onde under and there is some space between the gpu's! Now my temps with both gpu's are: (idle=36-38C) (underload=80-82C) which should be fine... and in the future i can always get a bigger case with better cooling. i will also add another exhausting sidefan.

Thanks for your help guys!