XFX Radeon R7 370 2GB Black Edition Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
Also where is the test setup specs? What PSU are you using, what CPU? Is the platform OCed? This review seems very slim compared to what I am used to seeing here.

I didn't even notice that page was missing. It was written and sent in, so I'm not sure what happened. I'm checking with my editor.

In the mean time, please refer to any of the recent reviews I've written. The test rig is the same.

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

Those are all the cards that they compared the XFX 370 to in the review. I'm not sure if the writer added that part or if it was automatically generated by the site as an advertisement because the cards were mentioned. I just thought it was amusing that the GTX 950 review links to a review about an R9 Fury, a card that is nearly 3.5x the price and made by AMD.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Where do you see a reference to an R9 Fury in the article?

Neat-O man

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
Regarding overclocking the core, when I got my HD 7950 some years ago and I hit 1125 on the GPU and the max memory of 1625 I noticed the same fluctuations. I then ran msi afterburner (which also extends clock limits, but not power limit) to get a nice graph of what was going on, turns out it was throttleing up and down between 925 and 1000 dispite not going over 79°.. So i figured it was hitting the 20% power limit :/ it took me some time to find how to pass the power limit, there turns out that there's a registery edit that can be made to allow up to 50% power limit. I set the limit to 30% and I believe they hide this because they don't want people cutting down the life span of the cards by going to past of what the MOSFET's and capacitors are comfortable with.

Now I have the card very happy at 1100 GPU and 1600 VRAM, I always knock it back a bit so it doesn't show its self unstable later on. Because even with something like furmark, it won't always show up unstable until you get into some games or benchmarks.

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

If you go to page 2 and click on the "Read the Review" link under "Asus Geforce GTX..." [it is a 950] and above "$169.99 Amazon", it actually links to a Sapphire R9 Fury. It is the same section that the person I replied to posted a screenshot of in this thread. We were both wondering if that was put in there by the writer or just an advertisement that was generated because those cards were mentioned in the review.

1991ATServerTower

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
I am the proud (former) owner of the XFX R9 280X Black Edition Double-Dissipation GPU. It was a great card on all accounts, and I have no problems recommending the brand to others.

One thing that is often overlooked with the Black Edition units is that they are specially binned so that they are factory-overclocked while using the stock voltage.

XFX has put a lot of time and effort into perfecting their cooling solution over the years; they are often the top bracket of performance, although using only two fans instead of three can hurt their acoustics some. With the higher-end 300-series, they've updated their cooling solution (Ghost Thermal 3.0 now, I think??) and I look forward to seeing to what that brings to the table.

It looks almost identical to my Gigabyte R9 270, so the HSF is not an xfx design. Link to my card for reference,

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4840#pg

Uh. I am seeing a lot of differences.

But, I suppose it is "almost identical" in the sense that there are only so many ways you can configure a copper-heatpipe-and-aluminum design. But, silly me for thinking that it is just the next iteration of a type of cooling solution they have been working on since the Radeon HD 6000-series, if I recall correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.