XFX Radeon R9 390X question

bugmeso

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I tried to get the manual or information from the AMD website and that was not to forth coming. My vid card has 2 fans and when cleaning the unit I noticed that only 1 fan was running. I assumed that the 2nd fan came on when the card would get hot enough. Is this true in my thoughts? THX

Solution
I dunno about XFX's fans, but my Sapphire 390X (with three fans) will run them all at different times. Under heavy load they all run. It's kinda funny, watching the middle fan run while the other two slack off lol.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That may be the default fan curve as set by the manufacturer... or it could be something worse.
The best way to check would be to leave the side of the case open, load up a game, and see if both are spinning.
You can set your own fan curve with msi afterburner.

bugmeso

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Thank you. I waited until I was able to contact XFX. When I did they said they would ship out 2 new fans.....how ironic. So the way they acted so quickly, I would say they know there is a fan problem.

Aug 29, 2018
I dunno about XFX's fans, but my Sapphire 390X (with three fans) will run them all at different times. Under heavy load they all run. It's kinda funny, watching the middle fan run while the other two slack off lol.

Solution