[SOLVED] XFX Radeon RX 5700 fans not increasing while under stress

Aug 20, 2019
Hello, as the title states, I have a XFX Radeon 5700. The video card fans work and spin, and I can force them to spin at full speed or anywhere in between, but when its under load, they are not automatically doing so. I use the Afterburner software to control them myself. Is this normal?

Solution
Which Power Supply unit are you using for this GPU ? Yes, you can always create a custom FAN profile via the MSI AB tool. Though, under load/stress, the fans should automatically spin, when the temp reaches a certain threshold value.

It's not always necessary for the fans to always spin at 100% speed, even if the temp crosses 60 C. It's designed to function this way.
Which Power Supply unit are you using for this GPU ? Yes, you can always create a custom FAN profile via the MSI AB tool. Though, under load/stress, the fans should automatically spin, when the temp reaches a certain threshold value.

It's not always necessary for the fans to always spin at 100% speed, even if the temp crosses 60 C. It's designed to function this way.

Solution
Aug 20, 2019
I have been having crashing issues, and i noticed the other day that this was an issue. After playing a game for about 10-15 minutes it jumps to 80C and seems to keep climbing but then the PC crashes. The fan runs at 25% idle, and when the temp reaches that high, it stays at 25%. Doesn't move at all unless I create a profile to make it change.

Hello, as the title states, I have a XFX Radeon 5700. The video card fans work and spin, and I can force them to spin at full speed or anywhere in between, but when its under load, they are not automatically doing so. I use the Afterburner software to control them myself. Is this normal?

Did you try manually creating your own fan curve under the radeon drivers? Default "auto" Fan Curves are programmed at the factory into the BIOS. If the radeon software can update your fan curve, I would say XFX goofed up. I would give them a call.

When I am not playing a game, temps hang around 40-45C

That's high. With my 5700XT, I sit around 30C->34C with the blower style cooler. The 34C is what the idle temperature is after about 10 minutes POST gaming. But then I have a crazy amount of fans. (Ten if you count the PSU pulling air from beneath the CPU socket.) Most reviews on open benches sit between 30C and 34C idle.

Aug 20, 2019
It may be sitting a bit lower, I don't let it idle often so when I tested it could've been cooling down from gaming still. I typically turn my PC and go straight into gaming

treetops422

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Do not use AB is my advice. It doesn't work right in my experience with the Radeon 5700. Global Wattman can do what you need. Sadly it crashes sometimes. Even if you have AB running when wattman crashes it can effect your fan settings. Right now Wattman is your best option.

Something is resetting you back down to default, happened with me on AB.

Renato Cvikic

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
I have xfx 5700dd, and I wonder are yours loud as mine? I hear her from under the desk, as soon as I start playing fans kick in and it's pretty loud.. Is it my card fault? or xfx as firm fault? shoul I look elsewhere for new gpu?

Jan 4, 2020
I have xfx 5700dd, and I wonder are yours loud as mine? I hear her from under the desk, as soon as I start playing fans kick in and it's pretty loud.. Is it my card fault? or xfx as firm fault? shoul I look elsewhere for new gpu?

I had a power color 5700 xt that was supposed to be quiet and run cool, but it was anything but. The fans would be pretty loud and the temps would be 80c, between this and the driver issues I returned it and got a 2070 super and have had no issues. The fans on the super are very quiet and temps are no higher than 65c.

Reactions: Renato Cvikic