Question XFX RX 580 8GB Pcie cable from my Seasonic PSU won't go all the way in...

Leon0983

Prominent
Jun 4, 2021
So I recently bought an used RX 580 as a secondary card that I will later on install in another PC...I have a Season 650w PSU and it has 6+2 pcie cable that should connect to the 8 pin GPU header, but when i plug them in, the 2 pins from the cable go in all the way and the other 6 connect about 80% deep to the graphics card...What could cause this problem? I tried using force but it won't go in all the way..what do I do?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I tried using force but it won't go in all the way..

Anything blocking the connector to be fully seated within the PCI-E connector on GPU?

Take out the power cable, look into the power slot. Might want to use flashlight and magnifier glass to see better.
Also, you can take pics of it and share those with us.

Season 650w PSU

Which model?

Leon0983

Prominent
Jun 4, 2021
I tried taking a clear photo of the inside of the PCIE connector but I get blurry images...But looking at it from my perspective there's nothing blocking the cable from going in except for the little lever on the PCIE cable itself...the one I would use to get the cable out of the holes.

Model of the PSU is Seasonic Core GM 650W 80+ Gold

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Core GM 650 comes with two PCIe (8/6 pins) power cables. Try with another PCI-E power cable and look if you can fully seat it.

except for the little lever on the PCIE cable itself

This doesn't get into the way, unless you try to plug the cable in upside down.

Couldn't find good video on connecting 8/6 pin to GPU but here's Steve showcasing how to connect the new 16-pin (found on all RTX 40-series GPUs) to a GPU. At 13:04:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QmKYJzJhB4

Same method holds true for your 8-pin socket as well. You need to hear a small click, for PCI-E power cable to be socketed fully.

Now, if the 2nd PCI-E power cable that you PSU has, also doesn't want to seemingly seat fully, then issue is most likely with the used GPU that you bought. Since Seasonic build quality is really high and i have yet to see any of their cables and connectors being faulty (i've also used in total of 5 different PSUs from Seasonic, spanning from different eras and series, while i'm currently using 3 Seasonic PSUs).
But bad power connector on a used GPU is quite common to see.

TRENDING THREADS