[SOLVED] Xfx Rx 580 gtr works but no display (the cursed thing :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warriork1ll3r

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
Hi so this is going to be extensive as I've tried a lot of things.
A few years ago my 6 months old Rx 580 stopped working, I tried a bunch of things but didn't work... So I ended up buying a gtx 1060 6 GB. (Couldn't send it back, I'm from Argentina)

A while back I wanted to see if I could do something for the cursed broken thing. So I opened it up to see if there was some kind of damage and it was perfect. I cleaned it up and tried it. It worked, lights went on and fans started running but no display. I went to the bios and got the igpu running too and I checked the device manager. The pc detected the card (with the generic driver) but it said error 43... Tried installing and reinstalling the drivers... Nothing. Also tried to flash it but GPU z recognise the card but says bios unknown so I can't use the ATI flash.
Now tonight I came out with a stupid idea, what of the GPU isn't getting enough power to boot correctly? It's dumb as both lights on the 8 pin and 6 pin are blue...
14 pins seemed wierd so I checked and realized that I bought without knowing the xfx Rx 580 gtr oc to 1450 MHz that has 8 pin and 6 pin connectors i didn't know it back then.
So then I thought I'm connecting through one rail to a 14 pin GPU that is oc by default (and AMD) so it could be that. Unfortunately I don't have another cable to try the theory and I do not have a multimiter to check for shorts or any of those things...
So my question is this

Could it be that? Or is it hardware problem?
If it is a hardware problem, since fans and card boots alright, what could it be?
By the way, I should have posted this at the begining but as my pc with the gtx1060 works fine its obviously the Rx 580

Mobo asrock h1150 ( something like that I'll post it later if you think it's useful, also tried updating bios to latest version)
8 GB ram
Ps sentey 700 W with bronze certification
Cpu i5 6400

Sorry for the sloppy specs, its late and I'm in bed already

My guess is that something is wrong at the cores of the GPU(have no idea what bil talking about here though) I want to buy a multimeter and check for faulty things myself... I find electronics awesome

Solution
SOOOOOOO I FIXED THE *** CURSED THING

If any mods can mark this as solved... Ill detail what i did hopefully to save a lucky one 5 days of troubleshooting and loosing their minds.

In my case rx 580 was powering up with fans always running but showed nothing not even bios. tried everything but nothing worked.
i opened it and there were no signs of damage but there was too much thermal paste on the core (if its nonconductive its ok) i cleaned it with a brush and isopropilic (something like that) alchohol.

i run the igpu with the gpu active (bios in igpu and booting properly) and noticed that it was powering off correctly.

gpu z showed bios uknown and couldnt flash it through windows. Also windows device manager showed error...

Warriork1ll3r

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
Hi so, the actual psu is
Sentey Thallium X modular 750 W
and yes, the psu comes with two different pcie power outputs and im using one cable that has two pcie 8 pin conectors (so one output 16 pins), unfortunately i dont have the other pcie modular cable that goes to the other slot of the psu

ill try to flash the bios today. Idk since the damned thing lights up and seems to work properly i hope its not dead...

Is it normal that it lights up and seems to work but shows nothing? i mean if theres a shortcut it shouldnt even light up right?

4745454b

Titan
Did you ever have it running off one strand?
I had an antec 750W green. My 7959/r9 280 also needed a 8 and 6 pin plug. Never got it running with one strand. I had to use two from the psu to make it work. If you can get a replacement cable it's worth a shot. They aren't all the same.

Warriork1ll3r

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
SO GUYS I NEED YOUR HELP I THINK IM ABOUT TO MAKE IT WORK...
Firstly I will try that as soon as I can, the GPU was working with one strand bit Idk if it was working properly, new games back then weren't functioning properly, but I blamed it on the drivers.

So update: I run the amdflash on an external USB, on advanced information it said it had no vbios... How is that even possible. I flashed a new one and now I'm trying to see if it works. I started the computer with hdmi plugged at igpu and the gpu fans start running normally until they stop and pc won't boot past bios. So I run safe mode and error 43 was no longer there.
I researched and it said that it might be driver issues (don't think so) or the PSU
What do you think?
I had an antec 750W green. My 7959/r9 280 also needed a 8 and 6 pin plug. Never got it running with one strand. I had to use two from the psu to make it work. If you can get a replacement cable it's worth a shot. They aren't all the same.

Warriork1ll3r

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
Another update
So I got the PC running once I uninstalled the drivers in safe mode.
Without drivers GPU fans were up and running while on windows, I checked device manager and got with generic adapter error 31 saying that I needed to update de drivers. Once I did that GPU fans stopped working and pc crashed.

While running without drivers I noticed that the backplate of the GPU where the core is was warm, that should indicate that the GPU core is running right?

Any ideas?

I will order the extra cable to see if it's the PSU that can't supply the GPU. Sorry for flooding but I'm writing as I'm trying to make it work

Warriork1ll3r

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
SOOOOOOO I FIXED THE *** CURSED THING

If any mods can mark this as solved... Ill detail what i did hopefully to save a lucky one 5 days of troubleshooting and loosing their minds.

In my case rx 580 was powering up with fans always running but showed nothing not even bios. tried everything but nothing worked.
i opened it and there were no signs of damage but there was too much thermal paste on the core (if its nonconductive its ok) i cleaned it with a brush and isopropilic (something like that) alchohol.

i run the igpu with the gpu active (bios in igpu and booting properly) and noticed that it was powering off correctly.

gpu z showed bios uknown and couldnt flash it through windows. Also windows device manager showed error 43. (so one probable cause was the vbios)

So here is how i fixed it
Firstly check that the psu is handing enough power ( in my case was easy as the gpu displays blue lights on pcie connectors), if theres not enough power the card will never work.

Install Rufus and create a bootable pendrive in FreeDOS and FAT32, and download (in amd case) amdflash. Be careful, amdwinflash is for windows only, you have to look for the DOS version.

Here is the most delicate part, you have to get the exact version gpu and download its bios online. Check for the clock rate and all of those things, it has to be the same (ill explain later).

Copy amdflash and the bios file to the usb.

Restart and boot the pendrive first. Wait till you get the console starting with a C: and type dir, itll show you every file in the usb. Now type amdflash, it will tell you all the commands you can execute. Please read them at least to get a sense of what you are doing.

Type amdflash -ai , here you have the slot of your gpu (usually 0) and the bios (in my case it said "no vbios"). So here is the problem, you pc is trying to run the cursed thing but it has no bios, it cant communicate with your mobo.

Type amdflash -p -fa 0 (biosfilename).rom , this will install the bios that you downloaded. Here it can show a number of errors, try to force it with -fp and another one i dont remember correctly or download another version of the amdflash.

Note: i installed the wrong version and gpu wasnt working (code 31 on device manager), it seems that i installed the wrong bios. BE REALLY CAREFUL i tried to reinstall it but i couldnt, even using every override command available. Luckily my gpu has a bios switch and the second bios was also nowhere to be found.

Thanks 474454... for replying, really keeped my motivations up.
Once you do this the device should be working like a charm. If your issue persist and you had no vbios you probably installed the wrong one.
I ll try to fix this in the near future. Ill post it here once im done.

Sorry for spelling mistakes and missing comas. Im from Argentina, my keyboard is in spanish and old, im still trying to get used to it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.