Question XFX Vega 56

May 1, 2019
Hi all, i have an xfx vega 56 with is the card with the smaller pcb, i guess you could say nano size. I was wanting to know if there is a good solution as far as an aio or aftermarket cooler or anything? The core itself is fine with temps but the other temps get near 80C and sometimes i get a touch of artifacting. I have undervolted the card down to 1050 mv on phase 7 and 1025 on 3-6 phases. Memory is it 880. Thanks!

Is your card a dual fan?
Whats your PSU?

80C is normal for VRM temperature as its always higher than the core.
Under 90C for VRM is safe, at 120C the card will shutdown to avoid damage. I had an HD 5970 and VRM temperature would always go past 90C sometimes close to 100C when gaming. It worked for more than 2 years while being overclocked until I sold it.

Does your card artifacts at default settings and voltages?
Try upping the fan speed while using stock settings and see if it still artifacts.

If it does then its bad news as the card is dying. Cards can die even when properly cooled and especially if they were used for mining. My 280X and 7970Ghz both started artifacting after being used for mining even thought they were properly cooled.

Last edited:
Reactions: overboost07
May 1, 2019
PSU is a Seasonic 850w Gold, the power limit is set all the way up in wattman and yes it is a dual fan card. its mainly done it in destiny 2 that ive noticed and its like 1 frame that i notice such artifact. I may be thinking too much into it but i dont want to ignore something before its too late, also i have a pretty aggressive fan curve for where i play mostly with a headset on so loud fans dont bother me, TIM is gelid gc xtreme. do you know the thickness or have a reference as to how thick the thermal pads are on this particular card? Ive tried researching the thickness myself but cant find a definitive answer mainly because people have discussed it about other cards but not this particular one. Its mainly at stock clocks except the memory at 880, it does it whether the memory is at 900 or 800 but like i said its only every once in awhile it happens and just a frame or 2 at a time. Thanks!

Last edited:
Are you still undervolting? Try back the default voltage and default clocks on the core and memory.
See if the issue still persists.

The thermal paste should be good given your temperatures.

Can you post a screenshot of the artifact? It could be just the game design or a graphic glitch from the game itself.

May 1, 2019
I wish i could but like i was saying it happens so fast there is no way i could catch it. Yea im still undervolted but it does the same even on stock settings.