XFX XTR Series 850W PSU Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come on the ripple page the 5VSB rail always stays under 15mv (except CL1) but on the crossloads page the 5VSB ripple graph is completely blue, hence greater than 30mv the entire time? Also, you have two "and"s in a row on Page 5. Anyway, what I love about Seasonic is they don't fall short in any category. This PSU excels everywhere, I guess except fan noise, of course.

^^ Yes please review one of these. Though he only reviews units that the companies actually send to him, so it could be they don't want the XT units to get reviewed, so it'd probably have to be bought retail.

apazeus

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015
I've had the 550w version since around October. At one point it was powering an FX-8350 and a 290X with no hiccups. (Nowadays it's paired with a 6600K and a GTX 1080, uses was less juice.) Nice PSUs.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
I cannot explain why ripple at 5VSB during the Crossload tests is higher than the high-temperature tests. This is strange indeed.

As for the XTs I will try to find one.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Excellent review. Could you guys possibly redo the Corsair HX 750i and up with the new review parameters? Really interested to see how it is in more detail now.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
When I state that a unit is made by Seasonic (or any other OEM) it doesn't necessary mean that it is made in its own factories. It is a common practice OEMs to outsource their products to other factories if they cannot meet demand (or in case they want a more affordable production line). However still the original design and the specs are set by the original designer.

Many other models of various OEMs are also made in other factories but there is no safe way to know it without having info from the OEM itself.

Finally, this specific article states about the XFX XT units: "If the available information is correct, XFX XT is designed by Seasonic, but the manufacturing is outsourced to Shenzhen Rui Sheng Yuan just like the Hydance. "

As you can see there is an "if" at the beginning of the sentence. In any case, Seasonic is also behind the XT line. Given that this is an XTR review though, I thought it would be better to spare all above and just state that all XFX PSUs are made by Seasonic and not dive into such detail mentioning the outsourcing of XT line, for which there is no solid information.

Given the opportunity I would like to mention the great work that Orion does and also thank him for the tip about the KM3S platform of the XTR-850 unit. I will try to find some details about the actual differences between the KM3 and KM3S platforms.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i got REAL happy for second there thinking this was one of the budget XTFR units. been waiting for someone, anyone out there to review one so we can see how it performs. they are priced awesome and if they perform even average, they will be worth the low cost for mainstream pc's

either way, nice review :) always solid work

XTFR? Don't you mean just XT?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah sorry. title says XT but model number says XTFR http://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/xfx-power-supply-p1400bxtfr,xfx-power-supply-p1500bxtfr,xfx-power-supply-p1600bxtfr/

i tend to focus on model number since it's easier for me to keep them straight this way.

I'm the other way around, model numbers are too hard for me to remember off the top of my head. Like if you look at EVGA';s units, nobody can remember those model numbers unless they actually study them with flash cards or have a photographic memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.