Xi3 Intros Z3RO Pro x86-based Mini Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
"In this post-PC era, it’s clear that there’s no reason to buy a tower or mini-tower computer ever again. Not only does the Z3RO Pro Computer help round out the Xi3 product line, it also marks the end of desktop computing as we’ve known it."

The stuff people say to sell a niche product! har har.

"...marks the end of desktop computing as we’ve known it."
What a load of BS.
I don't know anyone, for whom I've built a desktop PC over the last year or two, who could [comfortably] get by with something like this. They might have multiple drives, most need MUCH more CPU power, and anyone who plays games needs a more capable GPU.

theblade

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]So does this use an atom or a mobile i3(Xi3). If it's the atom used, I think they would of been better off using a low power AMD APU.[/citation]

I think they did use a low power AMD APU, those specs sound quite similar to an E-450.

[citation][nom]theblade[/nom]I think they did use a low power AMD APU, those specs sound quite similar to an E-450.[/citation]

It has to be, since if it were Intel, it would be around a thousand dollars, hahaha.

No, but seriously, it sounds like the E450 alright. Maybe one of the refreshed Brazos parts.

Cheers!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
There will also be an integrated 80-core GPU
What is with all the GPU-core reporting? How is that useful in determining performance? Plus it's misleading in a way, consumers will think in terms of traditional CPU cores.

What CPU is this anyway, seems like a Intel part (don't AMD's APUs have much higher "GPU core" count?).

[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]"In this post-PC era, it’s clear that there’s no reason to buy a tower or mini-tower computer ever again. Not only does the Z3RO Pro Computer help round out the Xi3 product line, it also marks the end of desktop computing as we’ve known it."The stuff people say to sell a niche product! har har.[/citation]
"Here, transition to the Post-PC era using our...PC!!!" :lol:

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]What is with all the GPU-core reporting? How is that useful in determining performance? Plus it's misleading in a way, consumers will think in terms of traditional CPU cores.What CPU is this anyway, seems like a Intel part (don't AMD's APUs have much higher "GPU core" count?)."Here, transition to the Post-PC era using our...PC!!!"[/citation]Number of GPU-cores is very useful in determining performance as the more gpu cores means more performance in gaming and video decoding. Since this is most likely for a niche market I think most consumers will at least be tech savvy enough to tell the difference between CPU and GPU cores.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]What CPU is this anyway, seems like a Intel part (don't AMD's APUs have much higher "GPU core" count?).[/citation]
Ah i see people suggesting the E450.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
OMG 1.65 GHZ CPU!@!!!! AND 80 CORES IN THE GPU!!!
THAT'S SUCH AN AMAZING PIECE OF EQUIPMENT, EVERYONE WHO BUILDS A DESKTOP HAS BEEN DOING THINGS WRONG.
:|

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]Number of GPU-cores is very useful in determining performance as the more gpu cores means more performance in gaming and video decoding. Since this is most likely for a niche market I think most consumers will at least be tech savvy enough to tell the difference between CPU and GPU cores.[/citation]
Yeah but...well not really (rather not always). It depends on the architecture involved too, see table here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6666/the-tegra-4-gpu-nvidia-claims-better-performance-than-ipad-4

its...in some ways similar to saying "OH LOOK 2GB RAM GPU >>>> 1GB RAM GPU" without considering the rest, or assuming that a Hexa-core CPU will out-do a quad core or dual core all the time.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Better then Surface[/citation]

Learn the difference between then and than. Perhaps then I will take your argument seriously about it being better than a Surface.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Yeah but...well not really (rather not always). It depends on the architecture involved too, see table here:http://www.anandtech.com/show/6666 [...] han-ipad-4its...in some ways similar to saying "OH LOOK 2GB RAM GPU >>>> 1GB RAM GPU" without considering the rest, or assuming that a Hexa-core CPU will out-do a quad core or dual core all the time.[/citation]

It's like saying, "here's a pc with 32GB of RAM!"
And then you see it's DDR. :)

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Another site put the actual ship date of Q2 so this is likely an AMD Temesh.

A die shrink of the current Z-60 "Hondo" SoC with Jaguar cores. Hondo also has 80 GPU cores.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]Number of GPU-cores is very useful in determining performance as the more gpu cores means more performance in gaming and video decoding. Since this is most likely for a niche market I think most consumers will at least be tech savvy enough to tell the difference between CPU and GPU cores.[/citation]

http://www.tech-forums.net/forums/f6/nvidia-7800-wont-work-63893/

Nope...

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]So does this use an atom or a mobile i3(Xi3). If it's the atom used, I think they would of been better off using a low power AMD APU.[/citation]

most of their other stuff uses amd APUs so I don't see why they should change now :/

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Better then Surface[/citation]
2 can play that game, comparing things in totally different markets
Football helmets are way better than baseball bats

See? that was so easy

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]What is with all the GPU-core reporting? How is that useful in determining performance? Plus it's misleading in a way, consumers will think in terms of traditional CPU cores.What CPU is this anyway, seems like a Intel part (don't AMD's APUs have much higher "GPU core" count?)."Here, transition to the Post-PC era using our...PC!!!"[/citation]

GPU core count is an aspect of GPU performance. By itself, it's useless, but without it, all other such information is equally useless. Also, I don't think that any current Intel IGPs have even this many cores. It's almost definitely AMD, especially since everything that I've read about them involved AMD CPUs IIRC and the specs line up nicely with some AMD models as mentioned by others.

Also, it's AMD's much higher power APUs that have much more cores than 80, not AMD's very low power consumption models. I also completely disagree with you in your claims about it being misleading except to people who have no business thinking that they have any understanding of the technology. Anyone confusing this stuff would probably be confused regardless of having such information and the many people who can use it would be screwed over in a sense without this information.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Too expensive, try half that price.[/citation]

If it were for the 128G SSD version, it'd be close to the right price, maybe a little high, but not bad. However, I think this is for the 16GB SSD version which means, yeah, way too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS