Xigmatek Introduces the Dark Knight Frostbourne CPU Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortuum

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
The thing is, Noctua HD14 set the standards too high. There is only a handful of coolers that can compete and they still can't reach Noctua's performance. They just have better size-to-performance ratio (meaning that they are smaller but work very well for their size).

IMHO the Air-cooling market is a bit saturated, we can hardly expect any more breakthroughs.

[citation][nom]mortuum[/nom]The thing is, Noctua HD14 set the standards too high. There is only a handful of coolers that can compete and they still can't reach Noctua's performance. They just have better size-to-performance ratio (meaning that they are smaller but work very well for their size).IMHO the Air-cooling market is a bit saturated, we can hardly expect any more breakthroughs.[/citation]

the only possibility of a breakthrough is in material sciences and a creation of a cheaper, ligher, or more thermal-conductive alloy (or any combination of the three). unfortunately this is not the job of any of these cooling companies :p

G

They are good coolers, I had one of their first releases with my last CPU 2 over years ago, but went with Corsair's liquid cooled H80 and never looked back at air since.

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
[citation][nom]mortuum[/nom]The thing is, Noctua HD14 set the standards too high. There is only a handful of coolers that can compete and they still can't reach Noctua's performance. They just have better size-to-performance ratio (meaning that they are smaller but work very well for their size).IMHO the Air-cooling market is a bit saturated, we can hardly expect any more breakthroughs.[/citation]

Actually in a lot of tests, Xigmatek Aegir gave better results with just one fan on it and by better, like 1-3C difference while being fairly cheaper.

fkr

Splendid
AMEC Thermasol has introduced a new range of Micro Porous Ceramic Heat Sinks (MPCHS). Due to the open irregular structure of the Micro Porous Ceramic, the heat sinks provide a greater surface area to contact with the air compared to metal. Due to this structure, the heat sinks have excellent heat dissipation and heat convection properties.

The MPCHS dissipates heat faster than metal heat sinks without storing heat within itself. MPCHS heat sinks are made from the lowest thermal capacity material in unit volume compared to traditional copper and aluminum solutions. The surface area of the MPCHS is greater than metal heat sinks by around 30%; hence, more surface area to contact air and dissipate more heat in a set unit time. Being non-metallic they also help ensure a reduction in any possible EMI/EMC issues.
- See more at: http://www.electronics-cooling.com/2010/11/micro-porous-ceramic-heat-sinks-enhance-heat-dissipation/#sthash.ZIqCcJwa.dpuf

There are several air coolers that beat the NH-D14. Some of them are even quieter too. Phantek's top cooler is a good example.

[citation][nom]vmem[/nom]the only possibility of a breakthrough is in material sciences and a creation of a cheaper, ligher, or more thermal-conductive alloy (or any combination of the three). unfortunately this is not the job of any of these cooling companies[/citation]

Several coolers beat the NH-D14 without needing new materials and those aren't even the only ways to make improvements anyway. One good example would to use direct-touch heatpipes and/or vapor chambers (which are just a different form factor of heat pipe) instead of the wasteful block between the heat pipes and the CPU IHS. There are many ways to improve modern coolers with the current materials.

bombebomb

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
After the fiasco I had to deal with on a Xigmatek rebate, I will never, ever buy a product from them. Lucky for me I am not alone on this.

call it the dark knight white lantern edition.
frostbourne sounds like a villain from thor movie.
or may be frostborune identity, followed by frostbourne supremacy and ultimatum... and then the underwhelming legacy: the alex cross edition... :whistle:

nightwingv

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
thermalright silver arrow sbe?
phanteks PH-TC14PE?
the havik comes pretty close as well i think

kristi_metal

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
DOn't like the space betwwen the heatpipes where it contacts the cpu. The heat pipes should be united to form a single plane surfec for maximum heat dissipation.

[citation][nom]de5_Roy[/nom]call it the dark knight white lantern edition. frostbourne sounds like a villain from thor movie.or may be frostborune identity, followed by frostbourne supremacy and ultimatum... and then the underwhelming legacy: the alex cross edition...[/citation]
Actually its more like wow. Frostmourne was the legendary sword which corrupted Arthas (pre-Lich King). :D

[citation][nom]nightwingv[/nom]thermalright silver arrow sbe?phanteks PH-TC14PE?the havik comes pretty close as well i think[/citation]
Havik is not close at all.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Um, aren't ceramics typically thermal insulators?[/citation]

The ceramic insulation makes sure the heat transfers up the tower where it is more efficiently dissipated by the fins where it can be blown away by the fans.

nightwingv

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Havik is not close at all[/citation]
ahh my bad, i confused the havik with another dual tower cooler :S

Status
Not open for further replies.