XMP & 8700 (non-k version)

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Intel 8700 (non k version)
Asus z370-e gaming motherboard latest 1002 BIOS
2 * 8GB Kingston HyperX predator 3600MHz

I have 2 questions
1) When I go into BIOS and enable XMP 3603MHz it always BSOD on the next boot, if I select XMP 3000MHz then it boots ok and passed a 5 minute RAM stress test in Intel XTU.
I also manually set the speed to the one below 3600MHz, I think it was 3406MHz or something like that and that booted OK but I havent run a stress test yet
Why does it not work at the full advertised speed though? Is it because it is the 8700 and not 8700k? I was under the impression the XMP only overclocked the RAM

2) I have a Samsung 970 Evo NVMe SSD, does it make a difference which slot I install it in? I have installed it in slot M2_2 underneath the heatsink but then in the manual it made it seem that I will only get PCIe x4 mode on slot M2_1 but then later it contradicted itself. Which is the best slot to use, M2_1 or M2_2?

Thanks

Solution
Both of the M.2 slots support x4 PCIe devices. Only one of them supports a SATA SSD. If you use that port, you may lose a SATA port. Page 1-19 in the manual shows both m.2 slots support PCIe 3.0.

As for the RAM, going over 3200mhz is difficult. It will take some tinkering. You will need to manually set the speed and timings. If it runs at 3406hz, I would not really try going for 3600. You wont see much, if any performance increase and it may take you a while to get it to run. The RAM speed has nothing to do with the 8700k, it is more about the chipset and motherboard. It is rated at 3600mhz because it was tested to work at that speed, but not on your motherboard. So it is never black and white.

If you still want to go for...
Both of the M.2 slots support x4 PCIe devices. Only one of them supports a SATA SSD. If you use that port, you may lose a SATA port. Page 1-19 in the manual shows both m.2 slots support PCIe 3.0.

As for the RAM, going over 3200mhz is difficult. It will take some tinkering. You will need to manually set the speed and timings. If it runs at 3406hz, I would not really try going for 3600. You wont see much, if any performance increase and it may take you a while to get it to run. The RAM speed has nothing to do with the 8700k, it is more about the chipset and motherboard. It is rated at 3600mhz because it was tested to work at that speed, but not on your motherboard. So it is never black and white.

If you still want to go for 3600mhz, good your board and memory speed and see if you can find some timings of your RAM that worked on that board.

Solution

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Thanks for the clarification!
I'll just go for what I can get easily then, I dont want to spend ages trying for the absolute best anyway
It was earlier in the manual that made it seem like only one slot supported x4 PCIe then later on, i think the page you said, it said both do so I was proper confused, but no more!!!
thanks

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Kingston told me to try them 1 at a time so I did that and it worked fine with 1 stick of RAM installed, I checked in both slots as well so then I installed them both but in the opposite slots to before and it seems ok now, very strange

Will see what happens after more testing