[SOLVED] XMP and memory latency on AMD systems?

MandelaEffect2000

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
Hello,

I was wondering what is XMP exactly and what happens when you install XMP-ready modules on AMD-based systems?

I have recently purchased a mini-pc from Lenovo model M75q-1 which has a AMD APU and memory timings are not set correctly when compared to that same memory module running on Intel-based notebooks.

Thanks!

Solution
Hello,

I was wondering what is XMP exactly and what happens when you install XMP-ready modules on AMD-based systems?

I have recently purchased a mini-pc from Lenovo model M75q-1 which has a AMD APU and memory timings are not set correctly when compared to that same memory module running on Intel-based notebooks.

Thanks!
XMP is just set of suggestions )in the RAM) for BIOS to automatically set everything to get rated speed and frequency and some other settings. BIOS is not obliged to follow XMP settings to the letter but can and often does make some changes to it.
As XMP is an Intel invention, ON AMD platform is often called differently. like DOCP (Asus), A-XMP (MSI) etc.
In any case you have to find that in BIOS and enable...
Hello,

Thanks!
XMP is just set of suggestions )in the RAM) for BIOS to automatically set everything to get rated speed and frequency and some other settings. BIOS is not obliged to follow XMP settings to the letter but can and often does make some changes to it.
As XMP is an Intel invention, ON AMD platform is often called differently. like DOCP (Asus), A-XMP (MSI) etc.
In any case you have to find that in BIOS and enable it or will default to 2133MHz if DDR4.

Solution

MandelaEffect2000

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
Thanks, I'll look into my BIOS settings.

But like, every memory module comes with these pre-defined timings table stored in EEPROM or something?

Here I found some timings table for the specific memory module I am interested in (part number SF4641G8CK8IEHLSBG):

This screenshot isn't mine, but I have this exact memory module and my system won't load these memory timings by default.

Should I trust these "Timings Table" values from CPU-Z? Who came up with these values in the first place? The memory manufacturer or what?

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll look into my BIOS settings.

But like, every memory module comes with these pre-defined timings table stored in EEPROM or something?

Here I found some timings table for the specific memory module I am interested in (part number SF4641G8CK8IEHLSBG):

This screenshot isn't mine, but I have this exact memory module and my system won't load these memory timings by default.

Should I trust these "Timings Table" values from CPU-Z? Who came up with these values in the first place? The memory manufacturer or what?
According to CPU-Z, there's no XMP with that memory. It's commonly written in an (E)EPROM chip an in some cases it can be changed using SW like Thaiphoon Burner http://www.softnology.biz/ which can also read more data from RAM than CPU_Z. If there's no XMP at all BIOS will take one (probably) lowest JEDEC standard value.

Reactions: MandelaEffect2000