[SOLVED] Xmp does not work , any ideeas?

Nov 8, 2020
i7 10700k
msi mpg z490 gaming plus
2x16 corsair vengeance pro 3600 mhz , that work at only 2666
Every time i put xmp on , f10 , the pc stay locked on a black screen , and than i need to reset the bios , i have the last bios installed

Solution
It's DDR4 on a K/Z Intel setup. I've never heard of correctly functioning kits Not work. Compatibility issues are most often attributed to mixing ram kits, not fully functioning ram kits. As @dorsai has said, it's possible you have a bad stick that's baulking at the xmp settings, but ok at default.

The QVL is somewhat misleading. That's a list Only of tested vendor sticks and kits. It's neither complete nor comprehensive, but often has duplicates. There's 2 parts to ram. The pcb+chips, and the heat shield. The same pcb+chips is used across multiple vendors and models, the only difference being the heat shield. Which is nothing but cosmetic.

You could test gskill Trident-Z cas14 3200 and Patriot Elite cas14 3200 and be testing...
i7 10700k
msi mpg z490 gaming plus
2x16 corsair vengeance pro 3600 mhz , that work at only 2666
Every time i put xmp on , f10 , the pc stay locked on a black screen , and than i need to reset the bios , i have the last bios installed
Your cpu supports up to 2933mhz ram, have you tried to see (if there's an xmp profile for it) if 2933mhz works? I can only assume it's crashing cause it'd be running well above it's rated spec.

Reactions: BogiMLG

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
K cpu/Z motherboard. That'll support upto 5000MHz ram.

XMP is a generic set of values. There are times when rated ram speeds need just a little more than what the XMP value sets. At default jedec, ddr4 requires 1.2v, above that is OC settings and XMP defaults to 1.35v. You might need to manually bump that up to 1.36v or as high as 1.4v. DDR4 Intel maximum specified voltage for XMP2.0 is 1.5v, but that's generally reserved for LN2 usage. I'd start with 0.005v bumps.

Or possibly, xmp isn't in tune with the memory controller necessary voltages, you might need to bump VCCSA and/or VCCIO slightly if the memory controller is a little on the weaker side.

Set xmp first, as that'll set the primary and subtimings correctly, then start adjusting voltages. I'd use a profile to keep track of what's tried currently, just for ease of use after any bios resets.

Ram is in #2/#4 (A2/B2) right? Best compatibility. #1/#3 don't always work out as well.

Set XMP profile then manually set memory voltage at 1.375v in Bios and see if it works. If it does you can slowly back down from 1.375 until it loses stability then go back up by the smallest increment possible and test for stability.

If the memory is not stable even with 1.375v you may have a compatability issue going on or even a bad memory module...in either case I would return it and pick a tested kit off the msi approved list.

Reactions: BogiMLG
Nov 8, 2020
K cpu/Z motherboard. That'll support upto 5000MHz ram.

XMP is a generic set of values. There are times when rated ram speeds need just a little more than what the XMP value sets. At default jedec, ddr4 requires 1.2v, above that is OC settings and XMP defaults to 1.35v. You might need to manually bump that up to 1.36v or as high as 1.4v. DDR4 Intel maximum specified voltage for XMP2.0 is 1.5v, but that's generally reserved for LN2 usage. I'd start with 0.005v bumps.

Or possibly, xmp isn't in tune with the memory controller necessary voltages, you might need to bump VCCSA and/or VCCIO slightly if the memory controller is a little on the weaker side.

Set xmp first, as that'll set the primary and subtimings correctly, then start adjusting voltages. I'd use a profile to keep track of what's tried currently, just for ease of use after any bios resets.

Ram is in #2/#4 (A2/B2) right? Best compatibility. #1/#3 don't always work out as well.
are u sure it works on my cpu and motherboard? ill try but im a begginer with this stuff

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's DDR4 on a K/Z Intel setup. I've never heard of correctly functioning kits Not work. Compatibility issues are most often attributed to mixing ram kits, not fully functioning ram kits. As @dorsai has said, it's possible you have a bad stick that's baulking at the xmp settings, but ok at default.

The QVL is somewhat misleading. That's a list Only of tested vendor sticks and kits. It's neither complete nor comprehensive, but often has duplicates. There's 2 parts to ram. The pcb+chips, and the heat shield. The same pcb+chips is used across multiple vendors and models, the only difference being the heat shield. Which is nothing but cosmetic.

You could test gskill Trident-Z cas14 3200 and Patriot Elite cas14 3200 and be testing the exact same pcb+chips, Samsung B-die. Corsair Vengeance, Corsair LPX, same thing, same SkHynix pcb+chips, different heatsink.

So there's a list of ram that's tested, but not on the QVL because it wasn't physically tested, and the differences negligible. CMK8GX4M1A2400C16 for instance is a single 8Gb vengeance 2400/16. It's exactly the same as CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 which is 2x 8Gb kit, or CMK32GX4M4A2400C16 which is a 4x 8Gb kit. All same single 8Gb sticks, different model numbers due to kit size. Test 1 and you've realistically tested all 3, or even the 2x16Gb CMK32GX4M2A2400C16 which is the same chips, just double sided on the pcb.

Should they work on your mobo? Absolutely. Will they work depends on if they are fully functional or not (bad stick) or the strength of the memory controller, which would apply to any high speed ram.

Solution