[SOLVED] XMP Issues

Apr 3, 2020
Hello, I am having issues overclocking my RAM with A-XMP, when I select A-XMP to 3600mhz, it will clock to whatever the DRAM frequency is set to. So, I selected DRAM frequency to auto, but then it runs at 2133 mhz.

RAM: Corsair RGB pro 3600mhz
Mobo: Msi B450 Tomahawk MAX.

Thanks, everyone.

Solution
Ryzen 5 3600
No... CPUz, the utility.

You may need to tweak timings to get 3600 stable. Even though BIOS is telling you '3600' it might be failing to train memory during POST and reverts to a slower default.

You can try to set the primary timings and voltage manually (it should be on your DIMM package) and as well setting the speed manually. Setting advanced timings will require learning how to use the DRAM Calculator utility.

ADDED: MSI BIOS' also have a 'try-it' that has some fairly loose timings for various clocks. You can try those too; even if you can't get 3600, something lower like 3200 might work well enough. 3600 is not always a sure thing.
I am just trying to run my ram at 3600mhz.
It sometimes helps to start with clean BIOS settings. You can do that either with a CMOS reset or load Default Settings in the BIOS save and restart screens.

Once CMOS is reset, just go to the A-XMP settings and set profile 1 or profile 2, then reboot. It may have difficulty booting; I find it helps with mine to set the DIMM voltage manually to the required voltage. Get that from the package. If even that doesn't work, use a higher DIMM voltage. DDR4 is safe up to 1.5, but don't go higher than 1.40 except to 'see if it works'.

and do keep in mind that 3600 isn't always possible, although Ryzen 3000 CPU's are much more capable they're still rated only to 3200. It may be necessary to tweak the advanced timings (put the BIOS in Expert overclocking mode to see them). You can get help with 1Usmus' "DRAM Calculator" tool to help with calculating the timings to use based on your memory, CPU generation and motherboard.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020
It sometimes helps to start with clean BIOS settings. You can do that either with a CMOS reset or load Default Settings in the BIOS save and restart screens.

Once CMOS is reset, just go to the A-XMP settings and set profile 1 or profile 2, then reboot. It may have difficulty booting; I find it helps with mine to set the DIMM voltage manually to the required voltage. Get that from the package. If even that doesn't work, use a higher DIMM voltage. DDR4 is safe up to 1.5, but don't go higher than 1.40 except to 'see if it works'.

and do keep in mind that 3600 isn't always possible, although Ryzen 3000 CPU's are much more capable they're still rated only to 3200. It may be necessary to tweak the advanced timings (put the BIOS in Expert overclocking mode to see them). You can get help with 1Usmus' "DRAM Calculator" tool to help with calculating the timings to use based on your memory, CPU generation and motherboard.
So I did this, and it still didn't work it ran my ram at 2133 mhz

Apr 3, 2020
my xmp seems to match whatever my dram frequency is, and it won't clock to 3600mhz, but I have had it to 3600mhz before (using xmp), but I unplugged it because it wouldn't connect to msi mystic light software, then these issues started to occur.

Apr 3, 2020
yeah, i pulled out my ram and plugged it back it, the dram frequency was switched to auto, and right below it said that the adjusted frequency is 3600 mhz, because axmp is on, booted it up, and task manager still says 2133 mhz.

Ryzen 5 3600
No... CPUz, the utility.

You may need to tweak timings to get 3600 stable. Even though BIOS is telling you '3600' it might be failing to train memory during POST and reverts to a slower default.

You can try to set the primary timings and voltage manually (it should be on your DIMM package) and as well setting the speed manually. Setting advanced timings will require learning how to use the DRAM Calculator utility.

ADDED: MSI BIOS' also have a 'try-it' that has some fairly loose timings for various clocks. You can try those too; even if you can't get 3600, something lower like 3200 might work well enough. 3600 is not always a sure thing.

Last edited:
Solution