[SOLVED] XMP Makes OCCT CPU test fail?

sp.karvouniaris

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
I'm running a Ryzen 7 2700X with 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 mhz(4 modules) on a MSI b450 gaming plus max.

So, I didn't know that memory compatibility with Motherboard and/or CPU was a thing and made this beautiful combo. I enabled AXMP 2 for 3200 Mhz and the pc wouldn't even pass post. So then I enabled AXMP 1 for 2933 Mhz which worked okay for a time until some games started crashing after 3-4 hours of playtime. I run memtest and detected 2 errors so then I increased the SoC voltage to try and make it stable I guess. Memtest passed. Then I run occt for my cpu to make sure that everything's ok (I've already run quite a lot of gpu benchmarks successfully) and detected a LOT of errors. Disabled xmp completely and no errors since.

Can someone please explain what's the deal with xmp and if I can at least hit 2933 Mhz with my configuration?

Solution
I was gaming 8 hours straight yesterday and no issues occurred. Sucks that I have to run the ram at 2666 Mhz but that's what I get for not paying attention at the compatibility aspect if things. Thanks everyone!
I'm running a Ryzen 7 2700X with 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 mhz(4 modules) on a MSI b450 gaming plus max.

So, I didn't know that memory compatibility with Motherboard and/or CPU was a thing and made this beautiful combo. I enabled AXMP 2 for 3200 Mhz and the pc wouldn't even pass post. So then I enabled AXMP 1 for 2933 Mhz which worked okay for a time until some games started crashing after 3-4 hours of playtime. I run memtest and detected 2 errors so then I increased the SoC voltage to try and make it stable I guess. Memtest passed. Then I run occt for my cpu to make sure that everything's ok (I've already run quite a lot of gpu benchmarks successfully) and detected a LOT of errors. Disabled xmp completely and no errors since.

Can someone please explain what's the deal with xmp and if I can at least hit 2933 Mhz with my configuration?
Visit the mobo site.
Get the latest bios.....non-beta.....and chipset driver.
Test.

sp.karvouniaris

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
Visit the mobo site.
Get the latest bios.....non-beta.....and chipset driver.
Test.

I updated them 1 to 2 months ago so I don't think that there'll be any improvements. Anyway I installed the updated chipset drivers and I'm running a memtest with axmp 1. The only thing that the new bios update provides (as far as I can see) is better usb compatibility which I believe is irrelevant. I really can't afford to brick my mobo atm if something goes wrong so I won't risk it.

sp.karvouniaris

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
Ok so memtest86 passed with only axmp 1 enabled and everything else set to defaults.
Started prime95 as recommended in this forum and the screen lost signal after almost 50 mins of running (test was still running I believe). Also, when that happened, the hdd led light activated and stayed that way until I restarted the system. Btw cpu temps were at 85c the whole time.

Is this a matched set of 4 sticks? From one package?
Or is it 2 kits or 4 individual modules.
Mixing ram is always a crap shoot.
It might work , might not.

sp.karvouniaris

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
Is this a matched set of 4 sticks? From one package?
Or is it 2 kits or 4 individual modules.
Mixing ram is always a crap shoot.
It might work , might not.

It is a matched set. Also that is the post that I used to configure prime95

If memtest fails when the ram is set to advertised speeds, it likely is defective.
Your ram should have a lifetime warranty.
Contact crucial support, you will likely get a RMA.

First, though, check to see if there is a motherboard bios update that addresses ram issues.

sp.karvouniaris

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
If memtest fails when the ram is set to advertised speeds, it likely is defective.
Your ram should have a lifetime warranty.
Contact crucial support, you will likely get a RMA.

First, though, check to see if there is a motherboard bios update that addresses ram issues.

Isn't it possible that my mobo or cpu isn't fully compatible with the ram?

Ok so memtest86 passed with only axmp 1 enabled and everything else set to defaults.
Started prime95 as recommended in this forum and the screen lost signal after almost 50 mins of running (test was still running I believe). Also, when that happened, the hdd led light activated and stayed that way until I restarted the system. Btw cpu temps were at 85c the whole time.
Just for yuks.
Remove the side panel from the case.
Test with prime95.

sp.karvouniaris

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
That is a possibility. ryzen is tightly tied to ram.
Look at the motherboard ram QVL list to see if your crucial ram kit is explicitly supported.
Or crucial should have a ram selection app. See if your kit is on the support list for your cpu/mobo combo.

I have already checked and they're not. That's why I'm asking if it's possible to achieve at least 2933 Mhz without issues

jasonf2

Distinguished
I don't think anyone has gone into this at all but a little explanation. Intel co-developed the Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) specification with its memory partners to enable performance tuning of DDR3 memory to beyond standard JEDEC SPD specifications. It is a RAM overclock profile and not guaranteed to work but typically does with intel chipsets. My experience with early Ryzen in particular is that sometimes it simply doesn't work. Try running your system at SPD and see if it levels off. If it does you will have to manually walk in your memory overclock, but even that is probably not going to get you the advertised RAM speeds if the system doesn't like it. Personally I have found that advertised memory speeds are almost on the line of false advertising. Just because they were able to run it stable on a given system somewhere in their lab doesn't really do anything for the consumer whos computer won't run it at the OC numbers. The only thing they guarantee are the SPD timings which always fall way short of their packaging.

Reactions: damric
Running 4 sticks or ram is harder on the memory controllers.
Try a slight voltage boost for the memory. 1.375-1.4v is safe for DDR4 for 24/7 usage.
1.45v is ok for a few hours a day gaming on quality memory but not the cheap stuff.
Just start at you motherboards lowest increase increments and work your way up in voltage.

sp.karvouniaris

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
I tried axmp 1 (2933 Mhz in case someone forgot) with 1.38V DRAM voltage. Passed memtest, 2 hours of prime95 (I stopped it), but found errors at around 15 mins of OCCT. I'll try increasing the voltage again although I doubt it'll do anything. If it doesn't work I'll try 2666 Mhz.

sp.karvouniaris

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
Update: AXMP 1 with dram at 1.39V passed 1 hour of OCCT and didn't pass memtest.

Tried the Memory Try It! option in the bios at 2666 Mhz and I passed both memtest and 1 hour of OCCT. Am I stable enough for gaming or do I need to do anything else?

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I'm just thinking...if you have an OC on your CPU, you might have to increase Vcore voltage a smidge. Try a little of SOC voltage too and LLC increase for both. Like 1 step up. By that I mean less Vdroop. Whatever that is on an MSI mobo. On Asus it's lvl2-3 LLC. Vcore and SOC voltage should stay at a higher voltage during load.

sp.karvouniaris

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
I was gaming 8 hours straight yesterday and no issues occurred. Sucks that I have to run the ram at 2666 Mhz but that's what I get for not paying attention at the compatibility aspect if things. Thanks everyone!

Solution