Question XMP over rated speed?

Mac029

Honorable
Feb 26, 2019
Need to increase ram in a lenovo LOQ 15.

1. Can XMP increase freq over the rated speed of ram? If it's a "tested" profile it should run stable, correct?

2. My cpu (i5-13500H) is supposed to only handle freq up to 5200. So is it idiotic to buy 5600 ram hoping XMP can go higher than 5200?

3. I've read un-matched laptop ram is more forgiving than desktop. Worth it to match my orig samsung M425R1GB4BB0-CWMOD to get 16GB?
It is single rank and I find no info about XMP for that ram.

Would love to find a list of 5200 and 5600 ram that fits which all can utilize XMP.

Thanks,
Mac

You could read the specs on what the maximum memory lenovo has their official support page but I doubt it will say much.

In the end it all depends on the actual silicon you happen to buy.....and if there are artificial limitation in the bios.

So first you have the CPU chip itself. It is not very likely it will run above 5200 but you never know until you testit.
Next you have the motherboard and chipset. Again unless lenovo says it will run 5200 it might not. Stuff like the length of the traces on the motherboard can have a large impact.

This type of stuff you just need to try.

You can likely run mixed memory but the module you say it currently has is only 4800. Highly likely it will just run all the memory at 4800 and if you try anything else it will not boot.

In general the extra memory speed is not that critical to most application. It likely will be impossible to tell in say a game unless you are running benchmarking software. Going from 8gb to 16gb though will likely be very noticeable...8gb is kinda small now days.

So I would just buy a second stick of 4800. If you plan to try faster I would replace the current memory with a kit of memory rated at the higher speeds.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

1. Can XMP increase freq over the rated speed of ram? If it's a "tested" profile it should run stable, correct?

2. My cpu (i5-13500H) is supposed to only handle freq up to 5200. So is it idiotic to buy 5600 ram hoping XMP can go higher than 5200?

3. I've read un-matched laptop ram is more forgiving than desktop. Worth it to match my orig samsung M425R1GB4BB0-CWMOD to get 16GB?

Would love to find a list of 5200 and 5600 ram that fits which all can utilize XMP.

Thanks,
Mac
Look in the BIOS do you even have a option to set XMP?

Thanks,
Mac
What speed is the ram running now?

Is there more to the model number of the laptop?

Mac029

Honorable
Feb 26, 2019
CPU-Z says my 8GB is running at 5600, lenovo manual says laptop's spec is 5200. Task Manager shows 5200 also. I surmise they've oc'd the ram since the ram model = 4800. So I believe a matching stick, while not a matched kit, will also run higher.

Will use lenovo Vantage and go into Bios to find XMP.

The laptop model is 82XV0095US.

I'm leaning towards adding exact same stick b/c a) it's already running at 5200 which I'm happy with, and b) cheaping out now saves a few $ for later when prices should be lower for larger kits. As long as they play nice together.

It can be a bit confusing when sites list DDR5 as 256p and others list 260p but I found a comment for a vendor that says used same exact samsung ram in same model LOQ and apparently works perfectly. I'll test the ram of course.

Thank you bill001g, Zerk2012, Bob B and geofelt!