[SOLVED] Xmp profile enabled wont boot pc

Jan 27, 2021
Hey guys!
i recently built a new pc for image/video editing and ocasional gaming as well, with the following specs:
amd ryzen 5600x
msi mag b550 tomahawk
4x16gb t-force ddr4 3600 cl18-22-22-42 1.35v
samsung ssd 980 pro 512gb
msi geforce 3070 gaming trio
artic freezer 34 esports duo
corsair rm850
the machine runs great with default ram speed at 2400mhz, but when i try to enable ram xmp on the bios to use the the 3600mhz advertised by team group, the pc just won´t boot...
is there any way of manualy enable 3600mhz or even 3200mhz without compromising stability?
any help would be apreciated.
thanks in advance.

Solution
one last message to close this thread. just got it working, switched the spectek kit that has the looser timmings to dimm1 and dimm2 with the samsung to dimm 3 and dimm4 , put the bios in optimal defaults and xmp profile with the 3600mhz speed worked.
i guess the bios adjusted the tighter timmings of the samsung to the looser timmings of spectek.
going to run some benchmarks and stress tests to check stability, but all seems fine, and dont need to return the item.
thanks!
Hi Guiloj.
  • Are you using the latest BIOS for your board?
  • Did you put the RAM in slots A2-B2?
  • Is your RAM on the motherboard QVL list?
Sometime when you use 4 sticks of RAM you can't use the XMP at advertised speed because of the stress on the memory controller compared to 2 sticks.

Could be because your RAM is not on the QVL list and was not tested with XMP.

Turn XMP on and manually set the speed from auto to 3600MHz or lower until it stays.

Or set all the timings, voltage etc manually and try to get 3600MHz. I will leave that part to people who can help.

Jan 27, 2021
Hi Guiloj.
  • Are you using the latest BIOS for your board?
  • Did you put the RAM in slots A2-B2?
  • Is your RAM on the motherboard QVL list?
Sometime when you use 4 sticks of RAM you can't use the XMP at advertised speed because of the stress on the memory controller compared to 2 sticks.

Could be because your RAM is not on the QVL list and was not tested with XMP.

Turn XMP on and manually set the speed from auto to 3600MHz or lower until it stays.

Or set all the timings, voltage etc manually and try to get 3600MHz. I will leave that part to people who can help.

hello nemesia!
the bios is on the latest stable version not the beta.
when i put 32gb on a2-b2 slots it enables xmp at 3600mhz.
yes the ram is on the qvl list on msi motherboard site.
already tried to set speed from auto to 3600mhz and didnt work.
will try to set timmings, voltage, etc and see if it works.
many thanks!

Jan 27, 2021
hi!
tried to set ram with memory try it on bios to 3200mhz but with no sucess... also checked in aida64 that both ram kits are from different manufacturers and have different ranks ( samsung with dual ranks and spectek with single rank), dont know if it has influence or not... going to stick with default settings for the time.
thanks !

hi!
tried to set ram with memory try it on bios to 3200mhz but with no sucess... also checked in aida64 that both ram kits are from different manufacturers and have different ranks ( samsung with dual ranks and spectek with single rank), dont know if it has influence or not... going to stick with default settings for the time.
thanks !

So you did not buy the RAM in a 4x16GB RAM Kit? That's why it's not working. Mixing RAM is a guess when it comes to know if it will work well between both Kit even if they are from the same brand and model.

You do not want your 5600X to run RAM at 2133MHz. It's like shooting yourself in the knee before a sprint. Ryzen need fast RAM.

I recommend you run 32GB at 3600MHz instead of 64GB at 2133MHz. If you want the 64GB to run at 3200MHz or 3600MHz you will probably have to buy a 64GB RAM Kit.

Maybe settings everything manually will work. Someone need to jump in this thread to help you with that.

Jan 27, 2021
So you did not buy the RAM in a 4x16GB RAM Kit? That's why it's not working. Mixing RAM is a guess when it comes to know if it will work well between both Kit even if they are from the same brand and model.

You do not want your 5600X to run RAM at 2133MHz. It's like shooting yourself in the knee before a sprint. Ryzen need fast RAM.

i bought two 32gb kit (2x16gb) ddr4 3600 , cl18-22-22-42 1.35v, tdzad432g3600hc18jdc01. thinking they were the same kind because the reference was the same, until i saw details on aida64.
will try to return the kit with the spectek.
thanks.

Jan 27, 2021
one last message to close this thread. just got it working, switched the spectek kit that has the looser timmings to dimm1 and dimm2 with the samsung to dimm 3 and dimm4 , put the bios in optimal defaults and xmp profile with the 3600mhz speed worked.
i guess the bios adjusted the tighter timmings of the samsung to the looser timmings of spectek.
going to run some benchmarks and stress tests to check stability, but all seems fine, and dont need to return the item.
thanks!

Solution