Question XMP stability

Nov 8, 2018
Hi, i've had XMP enabled for a while and i haven't had a crash but got some stutters on Fortnite the other day and also when i started BF5 yesterday it was very laggy despite being on 130FPS. I've read that others have noticed stutters on Fortnite lately too so it's probably a game issue but just want to make sure it's not the XMP that is causing it and i dont want to do any damage to my PC.

Is prime95 blend test enough and how long would you guys recommend using it?

I'm not sure why you're jumping to conclusions as to why XMP should be to blame. That being said though, you can always punch in the numbers manually in the BIOS. I'd expect that if the game files are the only thing that have changed, it's the game engine to blame, not your computer. Especially if you're not the only person experiencing these problems.

Nov 8, 2018
I'm not sure why you're jumping to conclusions as to why XMP should be to blame. That being said though, you can always punch in the numbers manually in the BIOS. I'd expect that if the game files are the only thing that have changed, it's the game engine to blame, not your computer. Especially if you're not the only person experiencing these problems.

I dont, i just want to make sure so i'm not doing any damage to my PC and also so i can stop worry about it. I'm clueless about PC's and this is my first one so i just want to keep it in good shape for a long time. Do you think prime95 blend test is enough or should i download something else? We actually have the sam RAM as well.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Highly unlikely XMP is causing your issue at all. Theres 100 other things that can do that before I'd say that. XMP memory issues don't cause stuttering they cause they system to crash and corrupt the drive.

You won't damage anything, and XMP is run base don built in settings for the RAM that it tests fine at, Like I said your system would be unstable if there was a problem.

Nov 8, 2018
I would forget about XMP being a possibility for the issue, unless your friend also has the same motherboard. If you really want to make sure, put in the numbers that your RAM is rated for in your BIOS. What RAM do you even have anyway?

No, i meant that i have the same RAM as you. I've only read from others online that they have noticed some stuttering.

I havent messed with anything else so i just wanted to make sure im not creating any issues. But sounds like im basically worrying too much.

Oh right, my bad. I've had XMP turned on since the day I've completed my motherboard/CPU/RAM combo, nothing ever caused me to expect that to be a problem. Fornite is using the Unreal Engine 4, maybe you have other games that run the same engine which is causing the issue, like I've heard before.

Nov 8, 2018
Yeah maybe. Gonna play Metro Exodus soon which uses another engine. Hopefully there won't be any issues but if there are, do you think prime95 blend test is good enough for a stability test since it tests the ram as well? Again, just to make sure that is not what is causing the issue.

Sorry for all the annoying questions btw!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yeah maybe. Gonna play Metro Exodus soon which uses another engine. Hopefully there won't be any issues but if there are, do you think prime95 blend test is good enough for a stability test since it tests the ram as well? Again, just to make sure that is not what is causing the issue.

Sorry for all the annoying questions btw!

It is a good stability test if you're overclocking. It will test the ram as well but like i said, unlikely.

Nov 8, 2018
So i'm playing Metro Exodus now and there is definitely some slight stutters from time to time. But this is another one of those times where on forums there are some discussions about stuttering issues in the game so i don't know if it's just a game issue again. I don't really care much about stuttering, i'm more worried that i might be harming my PC or if there is something wrong with my card. My temp on the RTX 2080 is 76c when i'm playing and gpu usage is about 96%.