XP Activation

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Anyone know? if using a OEM copy of Win XP Pro if I change the 2nd HDD (not
the one with the O/S on it) will I have to reactivate XP?

David

Even changing the primary hd with the os on it would
not require activation. If you have a Dell with the Dell
oem cd you would never have had to activate in the first
place and wont for a hd change or os reinsall.
Dave

nope.

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> Anyone know? if using a OEM copy of Win XP Pro if I change the 2nd HDD
> (not the one with the O/S on it) will I have to reactivate XP?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

I gather thats Nope you wont have reactivate not nope I dont know :) thanks
anyway
"Johoo" <johoo123@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> nope.
>

> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht
>> Anyone know? if using a OEM copy of Win XP Pro if I change the 2nd HDD
>> (not the one with the O/S on it) will I have to reactivate XP?

David

The cds that come with Dell pcs are all the same. XP Home or XP Pro.
Doug wrote:
>That has not been my experience. I've reinstalled Windows on both of
my
>home PCs, and both times I had to reactivate. One time I accidentally

>used the wrong CD-ROM (the one that came with the OTHER PC) and when I

>submitted the "correct" key Microsoft told me what I'd done wrong.

The DELL oem xp cds will work on ANY Dell pc without activation. Keep
in mind
I am talking the DELL xp cd...not a retail or oem purchased cd.
I have 3 Dells and have used the SAME cd to install on all 3 multiple
times without activation AND after hardware changes (hd memory video
card).
This is also my experience with clients I have installed on.
My HP computer works the same way. Will install on other HP computers
without activation. If I install the DELL xp cd on the HP pc it will
install
fine but WILL require activation (and will activate...though that is
changing soon).
My experience.....
Dave

David wrote:
> Even changing the primary hd with the os on it would
> not require activation. If you have a Dell with the Dell
> oem cd you would never have had to activate in the first
> place and wont for a hd change or os reinsall.
> Dave

That has not been my experience. I've reinstalled Windows on both of my
home PCs, and both times I had to reactivate. One time I accidentally
used the wrong CD-ROM (the one that came with the OTHER PC) and when I
submitted the "correct" key Microsoft told me what I'd done wrong.

Doug

So if I have an XP Home, and XP Pro cd from two identical Dell computers, I
can use either one on either machine without activation?

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The cds that come with Dell pcs are all the same. XP Home or XP Pro.
> Doug wrote:
> >That has not been my experience. I've reinstalled Windows on both of
> my
> >home PCs, and both times I had to reactivate. One time I accidentally
>
> >used the wrong CD-ROM (the one that came with the OTHER PC) and when I
>
> >submitted the "correct" key Microsoft told me what I'd done wrong.
>
> The DELL oem xp cds will work on ANY Dell pc without activation. Keep
> in mind
> I am talking the DELL xp cd...not a retail or oem purchased cd.
> I have 3 Dells and have used the SAME cd to install on all 3 multiple
> times without activation AND after hardware changes (hd memory video
> card).
> This is also my experience with clients I have installed on.
> My HP computer works the same way. Will install on other HP computers
> without activation. If I install the DELL xp cd on the HP pc it will
> install
> fine but WILL require activation (and will activate...though that is
> changing soon).
> My experience.....
> Dave

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Technically Yes but legally No unless you have a licence for both machines
if you choose to put either on both machines
"Charles B. Summers" <cbsummers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> So if I have an XP Home, and XP Pro cd from two identical Dell computers,
> can use either one on either machine without activation?
>

> "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The cds that come with Dell pcs are all the same. XP Home or XP Pro.
>> Doug wrote:
>> >That has not been my experience. I've reinstalled Windows on both of
>> my
>> >home PCs, and both times I had to reactivate. One time I accidentally
>>
>> >used the wrong CD-ROM (the one that came with the OTHER PC) and when I
>>
>> >submitted the "correct" key Microsoft told me what I'd done wrong.
>>
>> The DELL oem xp cds will work on ANY Dell pc without activation. Keep
>> in mind
>> I am talking the DELL xp cd...not a retail or oem purchased cd.
>> I have 3 Dells and have used the SAME cd to install on all 3 multiple
>> times without activation AND after hardware changes (hd memory video
>> card).
>> This is also my experience with clients I have installed on.
>> My HP computer works the same way. Will install on other HP computers
>> without activation. If I install the DELL xp cd on the HP pc it will
>> install
>> fine but WILL require activation (and will activate...though that is
>> changing soon).
>> My experience.....
>> Dave

Interesting... but will either machine need to be activated to a key code?
IOW... will it ask for a key?

Not going to do this of course, cause I don't have either from a Dell
computer. I do have an upgrade edition that I know will not work.

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Technically Yes but legally No unless you have a licence for both machines
> if you choose to put either on both machines
> "Charles B. Summers" <cbsummers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > So if I have an XP Home, and XP Pro cd from two identical Dell
computers,
> > can use either one on either machine without activation?
> >

> > "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> The cds that come with Dell pcs are all the same. XP Home or XP Pro.
> >> my

> >> The DELL oem xp cds will work on ANY Dell pc without activation. Keep
> >> in mind
> >> I am talking the DELL xp cd...not a retail or oem purchased cd.
> >> I have 3 Dells and have used the SAME cd to install on all 3 multiple
> >> times without activation AND after hardware changes (hd memory video
> >> card).
> >> This is also my experience with clients I have installed on.
> >> My HP computer works the same way. Will install on other HP computers
> >> without activation. If I install the DELL xp cd on the HP pc it will
> >> install
> >> fine but WILL require activation (and will activate...though that is
> >> changing soon).
> >> My experience.....
> >> Dave

Thats really interesting stuff, considering I've got a burned XP Pro that
I've put on all 6 of my machines, and never once have I had to activate any
of them. It is a burned retail copy, not OEM.

Food for thought

With best regards, TheGarbageGuy. E-mail: t5boss@yahoo.com

Then there is more done to that CD.
What else was modified on the CD?
If it was retail Windows XP Pro, activation would be necessary.
What you describe sounds more like Volume License. (commonly called
"corporate" by the thieves.)
Retail and OEM are not the only types.

Do you know the history of that burned CD?
It does not sound like you know exactly what you have.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

gg <noway@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I cannot imagine what part piracy plays in the the price of Window$.

Your imagination, or lack thereof, has no bearing on the fact that
pirating the OS isn't a legal (or in this newsgroup, condoned) method
of getting it. Your percieved value of the OS, Microsoft's profit
margin, their expected loss if you steal a copy are all irrelevant.
They own the software, hold the copyright, and have set the price for
it. If you want it at that price, buy a copy. If you don't want to
pay the price, buy a different product.

There are inconsistencies in your post.
Those are not retail as you state otherwise activation would have been
required.
Hank's reply is reasonable based on the information you have given.
If you leave out facts, you also encourage asking of questions.