XP bootup to black screen w/ blinking underscore?

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Suddenly yesterday one of my computer's would boot up to a black screen with a blinking underscore. I think the boot files are corrupt. I put in a hdd from another working computer and it booted right up so i know its the hard drive that's the problem. I was able to put the hard drive from the computer with the issue in another computer as a slave drive and i could access the files. How can I fix the boot files. I have the XP cd handy.

thanks

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

will this delte any of my data on my hard drive?

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

Thanks Ill try this this weekend.

I put in the fixmbr in the repair prompt and it tries windows as a repair. Do you have any clue what could non booting error?

thanks

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

What's the master boot record? And what does fixboot do?

Thanks for the answers!

Fixmbr will rewrite the master boot record. The MBR is where the partition table is. It also has some code that tell the computer to boot.

Fixboot will rewrite your boot files. Those files are part of the partition table.

I guess in an simplistic analogy, it would be like a record and a song.

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks for the help. To recap what I did was that I put the hard drive into my other computer to back up all the files (just to prepare for the worst) then booted into the repair console, typed the command "fixmbr" (without quotes) then rebooted. I did a system repair by choosing the install option then when it showed the installed operating system i highlighted it and hit "R" and it started the repair. Non of my user files (documents, music, etc. ) were deleted. I then scanned with AVAST anti virus and found a virus in the boot sector. So that took care of that and my computer is up and running!

But there's one weird thing. Some of the icons in the control panel are missing (they're there but don't have the actual icon, its more of a white icon)