XP Home for 3800+ X2?

slug420

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2003
Just built a new PC and it has an X2 3800+ as the cpu and for the first time in my life i actually bought a copy of windows to go on the new pc....but i bought home because it was cheapest...

it sees the 2 cores in task manager and seems to be running fine but my friend was telling me that in PRO you can right click on processes and assign which core you want them to run on. Is this true? And what other features are available in pro that I could make use of? I was under the impression that all the extra stuff in pro was stuff I dont really use (though I have always run pro in the past). Can these missing components or utilities or whatever be downloaded from msft and added on to home?

Also how much (if anything) is being lost by my having a 64 bit processor but not running X64? Is it worth it to spend 140 on Microsoft Windows XP Professional X64 Edition Single Pack - OEM ?

tia

sharp256

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Hello

Dont waste ur money on Windows X64 yes its 64-bit but 99% of Software is 32-bit So they might not work on X64

Most 32-bit software will run fine in 64-bit Windows... the main concern is hardware device drivers. The only 32-bit software that can cause issues is anti-virus / security software. If you can find 64-bit drivers for all of your hardware, then you shouldn't have a problem running XP Pro 64.