XP Install Cannot Copy Files

geeksCANfly

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I am trying to give an old desktop I recently acquired a fresh install of Windows XP Home. I have and OEM install disk, and have tried to use it but it will not complete the installation process. While copying the files, a message "cannot copy file" appears starting with the file "wpa.dbl" and reappears for every file after it. I figured it could be damage to the drive, so I switched it and nothing happened. So I thought it was the disk, so I borrowed from a friend a branded re-installation disk and the same thing happened with the same file. I'm starting to think I 'm missing a large piece of information somewhere. I've done this before and never had this problem. I've used that OEM disk before without any problems. I know that wpa.dbl is involved in licensing, but my understanding was that it only took to effect after installation. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Solution
1.Double-click My Computer.
2.Double-click on the "C" drive.
3.Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder. (You may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder.")
4.Find the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and copy them to a safe location. You can copy them on a floppy drive or burn it onto a CD or DVD.
5.After you have reinstalled Windows XP on your reformatted hard drive, click "No" when asked if you want to go ahead and go through the activation process.
6.Reboot your computer into SafeMode. (You can either press F8 as Windows is booting up to see the Windows Advanced Options menu and select SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal, or you can follow the instructions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode.
7.Double-click My Computer...

geeksCANfly

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

I have used the same disk before to reinstall XP on other desktops., yes.

AVIKHAWASH

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
1.Double-click My Computer.
2.Double-click on the "C" drive.
3.Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder. (You may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder.")
4.Find the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and copy them to a safe location. You can copy them on a floppy drive or burn it onto a CD or DVD.
5.After you have reinstalled Windows XP on your reformatted hard drive, click "No" when asked if you want to go ahead and go through the activation process.
6.Reboot your computer into SafeMode. (You can either press F8 as Windows is booting up to see the Windows Advanced Options menu and select SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal, or you can follow the instructions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode.
7.Double-click My Computer.
8.Double-click on the "C" drive.
9.Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder. (You may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder.")
10.Find the file "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" (if it exists) and rename them to "wpadbl.new" and "wpabak.new."
11.Copy your original "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" files from your floppy disk, CD or DVD into the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
12.Restart your system. (If you followed the directions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode, you may need to go back into MSCONFIG to turn off booting into SafeMode).

Solution