Xp Installation Problems

gkflynn

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
I recently installed XP Pro which did not install or have drivers for ethernet, audio, etc. I downloaded IBM driver for ethernet diver on flash drive and completed installation wizard with no success. The XP version is for a Dell computer which I installed successfully. I cannot get on internet so I'm concluding that the Dell disk cannot be used with any non-Dell systems. I will need to repair with new ISO probably but is the difference 32 bit vs 64 bit systems? What is my next step?

You posted about 4-5 different things that don't really have anything to do with each-other to fix the issue.

Let's start from the beginning. Fill in the blanks.

You have a __________________ model computer. You installed XP using a Dell OEM recovery it looks correct? You used the XP code from ________________computer. You then went online to IBM and got the drivers for ________________ model computer. Did the computer find new hardware when you rebooted? How did you load the drivers? IBM drivers don't just install using the wizard, that just extracts them to a directory on the hard-drive. You need to go to that directory and run the setup to get the drivers installed.

With XP, you want to use the 32bit version, much less issues with drivers.

gkflynn

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
I have an IBMT43 with a wiped 40 gb hard drive and installed using a Dell OEM XP Professional(SP3)Operating System disk(preactivated) which came with a COA. The system installed without the drivers ie ethernet, sound, etc. Rebooting did not find new hardware for installation and since there was no connection to the web via the ethernet connection no updates will or can be made. I downloaded ethernet driver on a flash drive to install with no success. How do I know if XP version is 32 or 64 bit?

I'm sure it's 32bit, you may have downloaded the wrong drivers for the system though. I work on T43s all the time (have many at work although they are now spares and loaners for the most part), and had no issues with drivers.

Did you get the ethernet drivers from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-58618? How did you install them? When you just run that download file, it does not install the drivers. It extracts the drivers to a directory and you need to run the setup from there. Did you get any error messages when you tried to install it? Or did you only do the extraction part?

Once you get that installed (maybe try wireless also if your ethernet does not work), install the System Update http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-66956, run that, it will update the rest of your drivers.

If for some reason none of the network drivers work, you may want to try a non-OEM XP setup.

gkflynn

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
I was successful in downloading the broadcom ethernet gigabyte card to get on the internet and installed Xp Pro, however, after finally downloading and running PC Doctor there was no wireless controller only Intel(R) PRO 2200BG Network Connection. The conroller for video, sound, network(wireless), mulitmedia, PCI modem uses a PCMCIA adapter(Texas Instruments PCI-1510 Cardbus controller which was not present at the physical location.

This T43 being returned to the seller with wiped disk for money back as it was not supplied as advertised. Name of the company is Asset Recovery Corp 2299 Territorial Rd, St. Paul, MN 55114. They get machines like you have for sale. Got a spare? Only kidding. Do you have machines like this one? Thanks for the help anyway.