XP Service Pack 3 Surfaces After Long Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_mikey_qae

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
I had 5 computers in my tech shop today that got WindowsXP reinstalls this morning. I noticed that through Windows Update, Microsoft advises the SP3 install. I downloaded the standalone installer direct from Microsoft and installed it on all 5 machines after running Autopatcher. The service pack install went off without a hitch, computer rebooted and I experienced, on all 5 machines (from a 900mhz AMD Duron to a Core2Duo E6300) that XP felt "snappier". I'm going to say that XP SP3 is a must-have, just like Vista SP1.

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
If XP did not feel snappier after a clean install, I would say something is wrong. Still, good to hear it went smoothly. I may finally upgrade from Windows 2000 to XP.

dj_mikey_qae

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Of course XP will feel snappier with a reinstall, however installing SP3 made Windows seem to run better than the reinstall with SP2. Basically, my install disc had SP2, I installed SP3 and it helped out even more. Again, a must-have. The SP3 RC2 Refresh made my personal computer go into the BSOD loop that people were reporting, so I just dropped XP and went back to Vista SP1. It's a tradeoff. I'm happier with Vista than I am with XP, but to each their own.

Alextreme

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Uhm... I downloaded SP3 months ago. I don't know what has happened in the meantime, but literally like 3 or 4 months ago i downloaded XP SP3 from the official site, soooooo..?

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]Alextreme[/nom]Uhm... I downloaded SP3 months ago. I don't know what has happened in the meantime, but literally like 3 or 4 months ago i downloaded XP SP3 from the official site, soooooo..?[/citation]

That was the BETA version of SP3, not the final release version.

Status
Not open for further replies.