XP won’t let tribes 2 run

zappa

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2004
9
0
18,510
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

All,



I’ve upgraded from 98 to XP and now I can’t run my Tribes 2. Program says
that my program is out of date and that there are no updates available.



Can some one please give me directions to cure this problem?

TKS, Frank
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Zappa" <Zappa@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:n2b7e.4844$gJ1.1119@fe11.lga...
> All,
>
>
>
> I've upgraded from 98 to XP and now I can't run my Tribes 2. Program says
> that my program is out of date and that there are no updates available.
>
>
>
> Can some one please give me directions to cure this problem?
>
> TKS, Frank
>
>

i think this is in fact vivendi's fault.
go to your tribes 2 folder and find the tribes2.exe and append the command
line with -online
 

zappa

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2004
9
0
18,510
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Thanks for your reply Adrian. Sorry but I don't know how to do what you
suggest. My command
line is C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe

Da**d XP. I upgraded to have faster reaction times. Now I think Tribes 2
can't be run on XP
Frank

"Adrian Ng" <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:d3jf7j$oae$1@titan.btinternet.com...
>
> "Zappa" <Zappa@nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:n2b7e.4844$gJ1.1119@fe11.lga...
>> All,
>>
>>
>>
>> I've upgraded from 98 to XP and now I can't run my Tribes 2. Program
>> says that my program is out of date and that there are no updates
>> available.
>>
>>
>>
>> Can some one please give me directions to cure this problem?
>>
>> TKS, Frank
>>
>>
>
> i think this is in fact vivendi's fault.
> go to your tribes 2 folder and find the tribes2.exe and append the command
> line with -online
>
>
>
 

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001
596
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:36:46 -0400, "Zappa" <Zappa@nospam.net> wrote:

>All,
>
>
>
>I’ve upgraded from 98 to XP and now I can’t run my Tribes 2. Program says
>that my program is out of date and that there are no updates available.
>
>
>
>Can some one please give me directions to cure this problem?
>
>TKS, Frank
>

That's not an XP problem, that's a Vivendi Universal Games problem.
The Bastards.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:12:35 -0400, Zappa wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Adrian. Sorry but I don't know how to do what you
> suggest. My command
> line is C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe

Alter that shortcut to point to the Tribes2 exe file, instead of
"SierraUp.exe", and add " -online" (minus quotes) after the exe.

> Da**d XP.

Personally, I say "What's XP?"

> I upgraded to have faster reaction times.

That's the oddest reason for upgrading an operating system.

> Now I think Tribes 2 can't be run on XP

Well, if you alter the shortcut as you've been told/shown, you'll get T2
running again.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Zappa wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Adrian. Sorry but I don't know how to do what you
> suggest. My command
> line is C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe

Okay, find the shortcut on your desktop or whereever, rightclick, go to
Properties, and then the "Shortcut" tab. In the line where you see that
C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\...etc, add -online to the end of it.

That should do it, if the -online thing works.

If it doesn't, try reinstalling it.

> Da**d XP. I upgraded to have faster reaction times. Now I think Tribes 2
> can't be run on XP

Yes it can. It's not like you're the first person to upgrade to XP :)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in news:425d6079$0$327
$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:

>> I upgraded to have faster reaction times.
>
> That's the oddest reason for upgrading an operating system.

Hehe, yep. I upgrade to trade one set of bugs for a different, brand new
set of bugs.

Looks like Zappa got bitten by an old updater bug that will never be fixed.
(It gets the comparison wrong when comparing the current and available
versions on the web page to the currently installed version.)

I also add my username and password to the shortcut so I can skip the login
screen.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:01:47 -0500, ScratchMonkey wrote:

> Hehe, yep. I upgrade to trade one set of bugs for a different, brand new
> set of bugs.

Hehe... I don't. :)

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 04:00:30 -0500, Quixote wrote:

> Defense turret is good, its a small program, and it prevents cheats. No
> reason not to install it.
>
> Quixote

.... other than it can cause instabilities.

Well, more than usual anyway.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:425e3494$0$323$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 04:00:30 -0500, Quixote wrote:
>
>> Defense turret is good, its a small program, and it prevents cheats. No
>> reason not to install it.
>>
>> Quixote
>
> ... other than it can cause instabilities.
>
> Well, more than usual anyway.
>

Not for me. I could tell no difference with my setup, of course mileage
does vary....

Quixote
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in news:115ti6dga8ja569
@corp.supernews.com:

>> ... other than it can cause instabilities.
>>
>> Well, more than usual anyway.
>>
>
> Not for me. I could tell no difference with my setup, of course mileage
> does vary....

Check out Rodent's .plan posted here:

http://dt.nope.org/

He explains some brain damage in T2 and his work in DT to fix it. It
doesn't make T2 more stable but it handles the UE better.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message
news:115ti6dga8ja569@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:425e3494$0$323$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 04:00:30 -0500, Quixote wrote:
>>
>>> Defense turret is good, its a small program, and it prevents cheats. No
>>> reason not to install it.
>>>
>>> Quixote
>>
>> ... other than it can cause instabilities.
>>
>> Well, more than usual anyway.
>>
>
> Not for me. I could tell no difference with my setup,

i had no problems either.

but of course, it might crash t2, but is that really such a bad thing?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:47:25 -0500, Quixote wrote:

> Not for me. I could tell no difference with my setup

It crashed as normal? ;)

> of course mileage does vary....

Yup. :)

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
 

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
3,944
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

> Defense turret is good, its a small program, and it prevents cheats. No
> reason not to install it.
>
> Quixote


Okay, I'll get that, but for the already-installed T2. :)

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel



_______________________________________________________________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
 

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
3,944
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Adrian Ng wrote:
> i had no problems either.
>
> but of course, it might crash t2, but is that really such a bad thing?


Pfhhht, sneezing can crash T2..........

*POW!* Back to the desktop with no warning.

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel



_______________________________________________________________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
 

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001
596
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On 15 Apr 2005 00:07:13 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Adrian Ng wrote:
>> i had no problems either.
>>
>> but of course, it might crash t2, but is that really such a bad thing?
>
>
> Pfhhht, sneezing can crash T2..........
>
> *POW!* Back to the desktop with no warning.

Yeah, but between the Unhandled Exceptions... Sheer joy!

I liken it to my married life. Everythings great, everythings good.
Then there's that sudden shift in the mood. Unexplained and
unexpected.

What did I say? What did I do?

Female Unhandled Exception Error.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in
news:425f565a_4@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> And okay, I'll admit it: not only was getting used to XP easy, I
> actually see the advantages of it and LIKE it. (Don't have the big
> one, Troy!! LOL)

There are reasons to hate XP, but usability isn't one of them. ;)

I'm running 2k at home and XP Pro at the office, and figure one of these
days I'll buy a copy of XP Pro to upgrade the home machine, but the $200
price tag is a bit hard to swallow.
 

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
3,944
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Smeghead wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2005 00:07:13 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Adrian Ng wrote:
>>> i had no problems either.
>>>
>>> but of course, it might crash t2, but is that really such a bad
>>> thing?
>>
>>
>> Pfhhht, sneezing can crash T2..........
>>
>> *POW!* Back to the desktop with no warning.
>
> Yeah, but between the Unhandled Exceptions... Sheer joy!
>
> I liken it to my married life. Everythings great, everythings good.
> Then there's that sudden shift in the mood. Unexplained and
> unexpected.
>
> What did I say? What did I do?
>
> Female Unhandled Exception Error.


ROFL

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle



_______________________________________________________________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
 

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001
596
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 03:55:49 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in
>news:425f565a_4@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> And okay, I'll admit it: not only was getting used to XP easy, I
>> actually see the advantages of it and LIKE it. (Don't have the big
>> one, Troy!! LOL)
>
>There are reasons to hate XP, but usability isn't one of them. ;)
>
>I'm running 2k at home and XP Pro at the office, and figure one of these
>days I'll buy a copy of XP Pro to upgrade the home machine, but the $200
>price tag is a bit hard to swallow.

You can get an OEM copy for $130-ish, but you have to buy a piece of
hardware. Which, for a true geek isn't like a compulsory activity, but
a bonus!

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604631

ZipZoomFly is one of my very preferred online retailers. Everything is
free FedEx 2nd Day, and the prices aren't bloated to swallow the
shipping, either.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:08:28 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

> Yeah, but between the Unhandled Exceptions... Sheer joy!

T2's actually enjoyable... still?

> I liken it to my married life. Everythings great, everythings good.
> Then there's that sudden shift in the mood. Unexplained and
> unexpected.
>
> What did I say? What did I do?
>
> Female Unhandled Exception Error.

So get out the fixing stick.

....

.... actually, forget I just said that.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
 

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001
596
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:59:51 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:08:28 -0500, Smeghead wrote:
>
>> Yeah, but between the Unhandled Exceptions... Sheer joy!
>
>T2's actually enjoyable... still?

Yeah, actually. Though tarnished and aging, it's still fun. Even on a
pub.

>> I liken it to my married life. Everythings great, everythings good.
>> Then there's that sudden shift in the mood. Unexplained and
>> unexpected.
>>
>> What did I say? What did I do?
>>
>> Female Unhandled Exception Error.
>
>So get out the fixing stick.
>
>...
>
>... actually, forget I just said that.

Which is more important, the length or girth of the fixing stick?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
 

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
3,944
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"ScratchMonkey" <scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9639134D71AAAscratchmonkey@216.196.97.142...
>">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in
> news:425f565a_4@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> And okay, I'll admit it: not only was getting used to XP easy, I
>> actually see the advantages of it and LIKE it. (Don't have the big
>> one, Troy!! LOL)
>
> There are reasons to hate XP, but usability isn't one of them. ;)
>
> I'm running 2k at home and XP Pro at the office, and figure one of these
> days I'll buy a copy of XP Pro to upgrade the home machine, but the $200
> price tag is a bit hard to swallow.


The year XP debuted my hubby got it for me as a birthday
present. I only needed the upgrade, but it was still $100 then.
That turned out to be the WORST present I ever received.
Talk about reformat from hell. But since then, I've learned to
install upgrades on top of fresh installs to avoid troubles I don't
want to deal with. If I ever get around to reformatting my desktop,
I'll go ahead and upgrade both personal desktop pcs to XP.
But shoot, I hate to think of how many updates it would take
to get current. Ish.

Better Idea: Buy two new desktop systems. :D

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel, needing a loan......



_______________________________________________________________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
 

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
3,944
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote...
> You can get an OEM copy for $130-ish, but you have to buy a piece of
> hardware. Which, for a true geek isn't like a compulsory activity, but
> a bonus!
>
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604631
>
> ZipZoomFly is one of my very preferred online retailers. Everything is
> free FedEx 2nd Day, and the prices aren't bloated to swallow the
> shipping, either.


Good stuff! One question, though- what is a "non-peripheral computer
hardware component"? Would a hard drive qualify?

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel



_______________________________________________________________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
 

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
3,944
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Mr K wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:08:28 -0500, Smeghead wrote:
>
>> Yeah, but between the Unhandled Exceptions... Sheer joy!
>
> T2's actually enjoyable... still?
>
>> I liken it to my married life. Everythings great, everythings good.
>> Then there's that sudden shift in the mood. Unexplained and
>> unexpected.
>>
>> What did I say? What did I do?
>>
>> Female Unhandled Exception Error.
>
> So get out the fixing stick.
>
> ...
>
> ... actually, forget I just said that.


Nuh-uh. No way! That's the best grin I've had in days. :D

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel



_______________________________________________________________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
 

Similar threads


TRENDING THREADS