xpPhone Will Cost $400-650, Run Windows 7 Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyellock

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
for the size, it should be called a mini netbook with phone capabilities, since netbooks are getting close to laptop sizes

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]I wonder if they chose a good carrier instead of taking the easy way and going to ATT, since they take any phone they can get.[/citation]

Um, AT&T has an exclusive on the most desired phone on the market. That's a little different than, 'taking any phone they can get.' If your personal bias against AT&T is distorting your view of reality, I would suggest you seek professional counseling.

Just trying to help...

DarkMantle

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Umm, an iphone is around $600 unsubsidized. Must have pulled that number outta your ass?

From http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/ read the paragraph marked as Note#1:

"Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. Existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G should check with AT&T or use www.apple.com/iphone/buy to find out if they are eligible for early upgrade pricing: $299 (8GB), $399 (16GB), or $499 (32GB) with a new two-year contract. For those who are not eligible for an early upgrade or who wish to buy iPhone as a gift, the prices are $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB)."

I don't think he was all that far off, you really shouldn't be too quick to make a fool out of yourself.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Very interesting. If this thing really does have a full-OS and can make calls, it could have a place in the market. I think that the price isn't too bad...

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
It sucks my hands are so big, I will have to get a portable keyboard to send a text. besides that the phone is HOT! I will get one.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I think linux would be a better choice, with a power-saving x86 kernel of course. With a windows OS, you are bound to catch viruses, and it would be cheaper too.

And, no. Any camera, that has more than 3,2 mp on a phone is an overkill. There is no point of the pixels, if you can't get enough light through the lens.

Sorry 'bout my english.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]scytherswings[/nom]"...Sorry man, my phone crashed, damn viruses..." Linux would also make a nice alternative OS, seems like a nice platform[/citation]

LOL, next thing you know people will be buying it and dual booting to Ubuntu... Hey it doesn't make calls but it can host a web page!

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
$600 would get your a lot of laptop, but that laptop probably won't have 3g, gps, or anything that allows it to make phone calls or send text messages conveniently.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I supported this phone a lot on here but looking at the battery life it's not that impressive compared to the netbooks, tablets, and color e-readers coming to market.It would be cheaper to get a Palm Pre, install the tethering app, and carrying around a tablet. This phone is for those who need windows xp/7 compatibility bang, right in their pocket.

tonewheelmonster

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
This thing has to be at least as big as the nokia n800 (which i own) and there's no way i'd put that thing in my pocket all day. I'd break it in half

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
interesting but it looks a little bulky. I hope Microsoft also releases the supposed Zune HD mobile phone as well and post pictures soon! I will get that over any Apple Iphone any day.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
It won't run Windows 7.

Here's why:

"4.8 inches TFT Touch-screen LCD 800*480"

Minimum screen size for Windows 7 is 1024x768 (height of screen being the most important factor - that's why 16:9 LCD's are now 1366x768 instead of the older 1280x720 resolution).

800x480 is just a wide version of 640x480, which isn't even the minimum recommended screen size for XP (for XP, it's 800x600).

Applications (and the Windows UI) just won't fit on the screen properly.

roldy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
This should be well received by consumers, in particular tech enthusiasts. I dont know what worldwide cell carriers will think, but I can tell you right now that the providers in Canada will resist this thing like its H1N1!

The tradeoff for my grandfathered, blink-and-theyll-take-it-away, $15 unlimited 'on-device' data plan is 8$/MB tethering (there are ways around that in windows mobile, but dont tell telus).

Id bet good $$ that if I were to get this phone on my plan, and if telus found out its a phone with true desktop functionality, they would try2 call it tethering (or using my smartphone plan on a PC), and deliver me a 5 digit bill. Really theres no way they would allow it on a voice/smartphone plan.

OTOH, without the voice plan they charge $30/month for 500MB(!) for a 3g data stick. Going that route I think I would prefer data only on a net/notebook then on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.