Xps 410 Graphics Card Recommendations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Hey, I know this is sort of a repeat question and I apologize. I've been trying to sift through forums and the net for hours, so I figure I'd ask here.

I'm trying to find a sub $100 graphics card to upgrade to in my Dell XPS 410. It has 4gb ram and a 375w psu.
I think it has the Radeon x1300 series in it now, which is junk (256mb)

What is a good card that I can run safely on the 375w psu, as I don't wish to mess with upgrading this at the time. The upgraded card will be used for gaming (Starcraft 2, Diablo III, Wow). I've found a lot of graphics cards sub $100 but the whole 375w throws me off.

In addition, a general question. When a graphics card says, for example min psu 300w, is that taking into account the other components added into your computer, or is a 300 min recomendation going to overheat a 375w psu?

Thanks in advanced

Solution
the OP does not need a new PSU, the 410 comes with a 375w PSU that can easily push a 4850/5750/5770/GTS250. I have an XPS 410 that is currently running a GTS 250 with the stock 375w PSU.

Picture003.jpg

here is a nice 250 that wont break the bank :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127495&cm_re=GTS_250-_-14-127-495-_-Product

don't bother with the 1Gb model as it performs the same as the 512mb version.
G

So on the bus you want a smaller bit? so 64 is better than 128?

G

Btw thank you all for being helpful and patient. I know I'm being a pain; I'm just trying to re-educate on the whole what-the-heck is what on the graphics cards. You all are awsome.

G

Looks good. And it'll be fine on my 375w psu? Btw, just out of curiosity, what happens if you get a card that uses more watts than your psu? Does it fry the board, card, psu? Melt?

G

Btw I keep getting a pop up saying reply to message in mail to confirm account... but I never got one.. how do I get it to send one?

thereaper123

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Looks good. And it'll be fine on my 375w psu? Btw, just out of curiosity, what happens if you get a card that uses more watts than your psu? Does it fry the board, card, psu? Melt?
That psu should be good enough. Of course we can't guarantee it.
It "could" fry the board the board if it's really cheap quality, but I highly doubt. But most probably the system will be unstable and you will have random shutoffs.
Still if you are worried about it get the gts 250, since it uses less power:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-250,2172-10.html

RowdyLeprechaun

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Ok thanks for the info guys. My account never got the email so I couldn't verify it. Anyway. I'm throwing a wrench in your advice and I need new suggestions. Ok XpS 410 but...

I'm going to buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022 PSU

Now what suggestions for a good graphics card under $100? Still GeForce 9800 GT or Radeon 4850 or?

Also... is that a good PSU? Thanks in advanced!

thereaper123

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010

That psu looks very good.
I'd get the hd 4850 or the gts 250, thay are faster than the 9800 gt, for more or less the same price (unless you're buying an used one).
I checked and I found this HD 4850 for 93+7$ after rebate, in case you want to save some cash other the other hd4850.
I'm not from US so I can't help you much about this rebate thing.

Solution

RowdyLeprechaun

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Well I ordered it. I went ahead and got the PSU in case I wanted to add anything else; just do it all in one go. Wish me luck I'll let oyu know how it turned out!

RowdyLeprechaun

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Will do. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm assuming all I need to do is remove the screws from the old PSU, unplug the connectors and the new one just needs the wires wound through the same paths and the connections should all still be sized based right? Or has that changed from 8 years ago? Lol.

yep, plus that PSU is modular so you wont have to bother tucking away unused cables.

RowdyLeprechaun

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Well the PSU worked good... unfortunately I cannot use the video card apparently. I put it in and theres 2 cables that came with it.. one is a small white cable that has 2 small 1 pin square plugs and the other is a power supply type connector that runs from the card to a white square plug with 3 prongs and 1 hole.. can't find anywhere to plug it in my XPS 410....

RowdyLeprechaun

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Err.. ok ... possible solution. This seperate power cord thing is new to me. I can't find a plac eto use the 2 cables that came with the graphics card, but... Do I use the extra pci express cable that came with the PSU, and run it from the PSU to the back of the graphics card? Is that sufficient? Just the one?

RowdyLeprechaun

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Lol. Thanks a lot. You guys have been patient and helpful. Got it installed... it's funny because you'd think the instructions that came with the card would say more than .. open the box.. put card in pci-e.. close box... Oh well. I took the PCI E modular cable and ran it from the PSU to the card. Works great! Took SC2 from low graphics and choppy to Ultra graphics and smooth. THe wierd thing though, is the software that came with it says the core GPU is running at 48 degrees C but nothing feels hot... but thats like over 100 degrees F. Thanks!

use MSI's Afterburner and create a fan curve, it will keep the card nice n cool at idle/load.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

new_curve.png

RowdyLeprechaun

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010