Question XPS 8300 CPU Swap.

Jul 27, 2019
I recently got a Dell XPS 8300 for free, I'd like to modify it to be a half respectable gaming PC. The problem is that I know absolutely nothing about computers, but I'm trying to learn.
I want to swap out the I5 2300 CPU for an I7 2600, as I understand they use the same socket and some of the 8300s did come stock with the I7 2600.
Would it be a simple swap?

I also intend to put a stronger power supply, a decent graphics card and an SSD in it, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of future questions for you guys here. I hope you guys won't get fed up with my lack of knowledge and experience.

It does appear that some models came with an i7-2600. If you can find one for the right price...should be a decent upgrade, but it's not going to set the world on fire compared to a more modern CPU. Probably best to run the price by the TH collective before hitting the "Buy" button though. Looks like they're going for around $60 on Ebay.

These age systems can still be viable entry-level gaming machines if you make the right choices and set realistic expectations for an 8 year old platform operating off an OEM motherboard with little/no tweaking levers.

I've done a few of these office throw-outs that have i5-2400 CPUs. The freebie one I've got in my basement now came with an aftermarket EVGA 430W PSU that's seen less than a year of service, which was a good "selling" point. Also has 2x4GB RAM + another 2x4GB kit I got for free that I could stick in there (wouldn't say 16GB is necessary for a system like this, but....) Toss in a $55-$60 500GB SSD and a $115 RX570 4GB (cheaper if you go used RX470) and you've got yourself a potent little 1080p medium to medium-high settings gaming system for $170. If they left the Windows activation key sticker on there, it'll likely activate (in my experience)

What country?
Budget?
Monitor resolution?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019
It does appear that some models came with an i7-2600. If you can find one for the right price...should be a decent upgrade, but it's not going to set the world on fire compared to a more modern CPU. Probably best to run the price by the TH collective before hitting the "Buy" button though.

What country?
Budget?
Monitor resolution?

I'm in the US.
I don't want to spend more than $500 for the build since at that rate I could probably buy a used computer with better specs.
I'm still in need of a decent monitor, I was looking at the BenQ XL2411P but I'm open to any suggestions on a good monitor in the $300 or less price range.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019
So is it safe to assume the i5 2300 and I7 2600 can be used interchangeably in the 8300? I'm about to bid on the 2600.

I've read that there are compatibility issues with many graphics cards on the XPS 8300, I know a few people are running the GTX 1050ti with no problems, I'll probably play it safe and grab one of those.

The Dell 2719HGF seems like a pretty nice monitor for the money, I'm just not sure about the VA vs TN argument. Is the bump in speed worth the loss in color accuracy?

Last edited: