XPS 8700 has a BLACK SCREEN and BEEPS 5 times

mconnell61

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
I have a Dell XPS 8700 that has been shutting down suddenly. I cleared all the temporary files and cache and tried to reinstall Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OS but the re-install failed before it completed. An error window came up saying "The file directory X: is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility". I clicked on the "Okay" tab for this error window but the window would not go away no matter how many times I clicked on it.

Behind the error window it says on the bottom of the screen that it is re-installing my old operating system. However, it seemed like it was not able to reinstall the old OS as long as this error window stays on the screen. I waited 6 hours and it still would not re-install the old version (progress bars moving endlessly but never finishes install) then I finally forced a shutdown. When I started up the computer again the screen was completely black and a 5 beep error code beeps.

Now, I cannot even start my computer in safe mode or get any image at all on the screen when I power it up. The monitor says it is not getting any signal from the computer. I checked the monitor cable connections and they are secure.

According to the Dell beep codes 5 beeps means a bad CMOS battery.So I changed the CMOS battery, checked to make sure that ALL cable connections were secure, and unplugged the AC cord for a few minutes, checked to see that the video card, audio card and RAM were all inserted properly but I am still unable to get any image at all on my screen. I replaced my power supply with a Thermaltake 750W Bronze unit (same one I had before replacement) It will not boot up at all. No image on screen. The computer, fans and power indicator lights are all on but nothing at all on the screen..

All the fans are working the power lights are on and the computer seems to be running but I just cannot get get ANY image at all on my screen. However, the computer is still shutting down suddenly. I was thinking it may be a defective main board or hard drive, but I am not sure. The fact that the OS re-install failed may have something to do with why I am not getting any image on the screen but I was having problems with sudden shut downs long before I tried the re-install. It could be a combination of these two things that is causing the black screen and failure to boot.

I am leaning towards it being a main board problem or a corrupt main hard drive. I think the failed re-install of the Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OS was caused by a hard shut down or a corrupt main hard drive. . I think this may be the cause of the black screen. There may be no OS or an incomplete installation of an OS. If so, I really need to recover the video and audio files that are on this possibly failed hard drive and install a new main hard drive.

How can I fix this problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
be no OS or an incomplete installation of an OS
You are right, the problem is an incomplete installation of an OS. And I don't how you do the installation, your files, like the video/audio maybe gone too.
From what you said, if you had the installation USB or disc. may try to: 1) unplug the HDD, boot the PC without the hard drive, if the PC can boot but you get no boot device, that means the PC still works. 2) Then connect the hard drive back, also the win7 disc or USB, make sure the boot order in the BIOS. And run a Startup Repair Win7, how to: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html 3) If you have other pc, may connect the HDD to it, and recovery the files, If the HDD does not show up in other PC, that...
be no OS or an incomplete installation of an OS
You are right, the problem is an incomplete installation of an OS. And I don't how you do the installation, your files, like the video/audio maybe gone too.
From what you said, if you had the installation USB or disc. may try to: 1) unplug the HDD, boot the PC without the hard drive, if the PC can boot but you get no boot device, that means the PC still works. 2) Then connect the hard drive back, also the win7 disc or USB, make sure the boot order in the BIOS. And run a Startup Repair Win7, how to: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html 3) If you have other pc, may connect the HDD to it, and recovery the files, If the HDD does not show up in other PC, that means the HDD failed, you will have to pay someone to recovery the video/audio files. Sorry.

Solution