Question Xps 8940 Power Supply died, is it worth it to replace or just save for custom build?

Aug 2, 2022
My XPS Power Supply died last week, it was the 360 watt version running a I5 and a 1660TI.

Kinda of a hassle to deal with honestly, it just crapped out while gaming.

I actually have a good cosair 500 watt in storage that's not used, I was wondering if I should just scrap this dell for parts and just save for a custom build or is it worth it getting another PS for dell?

It crapped out in less than 2 years.

artk2219

Distinguished
My XPS Power Supply died last week, it was the 360 watt version running a I5 and a 1660TI.

Kinda of a hassle to deal with honestly, it just crapped out while gaming.

I actually have a good cosair 500 watt in storage that's not used, I was wondering if I should just scrap this dell for parts and just save for a custom build or is it worth it getting another PS for dell?

It crapped out in less than 2 years.

What model XPS is it? As was stated by Vic40, is it still under warranty?

Aug 2, 2022
What are the other parts in the pc?

• Intel Core i5-10400 6-Core (12 Thread) 2.9GHz Processor
  • 16GB (1x16GB) 2666Mhz DDR4 RAM
  • 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
  • 1TB 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA III Internal Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
  • Built-In WiFi 802.11AC + Bluetooth 4.1
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit English
  • Dell USB Keyboard & Mouse included
I added 8 gigs so mines came with 8 gig not 16 gig. Also only 1 256 SSD, I got it off slickdeals a few years back.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Find the model number of the PSU and then do an online search for it. The PSU for items like Dell and HP are often made by whoever would produce it cheapest and are often available for much less in a "direct" buy (as it were). Aside from that aspect, check such as eBay because it's not uncommon to find Dell parts there by the piece. Admittedly, that last suggestion would probably be in relation to an office build like Optiplex, but still worth a try.

As you are already aware the connectors for Dell are proprietary, so your current situation it might be worthwhile to take out the CPU, RAM, GPU, drives (maybe) and find a 4xx/5xx chipset mobo and a case. I agree with the above opinion that a 10th gen Intel is still worthwhile.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Can I take the CPU off and use ir for a custom build?

Sure can, I made mention of that above this post.

Dell almost always uses Samsung or Hynix RAM and in spite of its speed is generally good RAM. You can probably locate another stick of what you have on the cheap. Use the model number on the side of existing stick. It's best to purchase RAM in matched sticks but have found that Intel tend to care much less about that (in operation) than AMD does.

Aug 2, 2022
I think I'll rather custom build and use the parts from this dell, the issue is I don't know if it's the mobo or PS that's failing and to find out I'd need to pay Dell.

Probably best to scrap it and move on, I don't want to buy the PS just to find out the mobo is bad.

If it died in under 2 years, it's basically telling me it has a voltage issue, probably the mobo can't handle the load or maybe just the under watted PS that can't handle the power.

THe only game I play is NBA 2k22 for PC, thats basically it.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The XPS 8940 has a wacky sort of power supply. It's actually supposedly of pretty good quality and efficiency, and, these days, the multiple rails thing is a bit weird.

But, that power supply is, if I'm not mistaken, particular to Dell's machines. And, I believe the motherboard is also a proprietary form factor.

Most of the other stuff, though, can be carried over to another system... CPU, RAM, video card, HDDs/SSDs, etc.