XRAID ES 4 and 16 TB Storage for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuesacuatl

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
We use raid here for our Macs since the school district purchases Macs for student use we needed a raid solution to protect data.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I own a Mac Pro and why wouldn't I just buy 4x 1.5 TB HDD's and then buy a raid card. That'll cost me a one time fee of about $1200 ($700 for the raid card, + about $130 each for the HDD's).

Heck, I could even get a quad channel 4 GB Fiber Channel card as well and then another Mac Pro with a Fiber Channel card and I'd be paying about the same as they're asking

joex444

Distinguished
Its funny. On this article, the google ad beneath it:

"12TB High-End NAS $2999".

Yeah, I mean, come on. 16TB is tricky because you need either two 8 channel RAID cards that can work together, or a single 16 channel card. That's expensive. The 16 drives themselves would be about $1600. But the 4TB is cheap as hell. I can run a 4TB RAID5 array for $500 (5x1TB drives) + $330 (HighPoint 4320 PCI-e 8channel RAID5 card with Intel IOP).

The thing I found extremely idiotic is why to quadruple the capacity is only an increase of 43% in the price department.

Oh, and the Price / GB is not 67c. Its $1.71/GB for the 4TB and $0.61 for the 16TB.

svenolsen

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]What would you be using RAID for on a mac anyway?Pirated songs?I mean, media, yeah, but... really... 16 TB?[/citation]

C'mon, comments like that make us PC folk seem ignorant. We may not like Apple itself, but there are lots of film and production companies that do high end NLE work on Macs. I use Windows everyday and even I can acknowledge that.

Note: RAID will not prevent data loss from software "accidents". It will only help with a possible loss related to hardware failure. Don't you dare tell me Mac's are immune to being hacked (see PWN2OWN), infected with virus,etc.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]svenolsen[/nom]C'mon, comments like that make us PC folk seem ignorant. We may not like Apple itself, but there are lots of film and production companies that do high end NLE work on Macs. I use Windows everyday and even I can acknowledge that.[/citation]
Lots? Last time I checked apple had only 10% of the market share...

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
mac always acting like the high class version of computer... so let them play the price game among themselves.. thank god i'm sane!

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
There's always been a lot of hate for Apple here... Last I checked G-Technology wasn't any cheaper at 16TB with their G-Speed XL model, costing $12K. There are options out there, that work for both mac and pc equally well, and are more affordable.

"However, both solutions may require a monthly payment plan."
"The 16 TB version actually breaks into the five digit price range (after taxes), costing the end-user a staggering $9,999 USD."

Damn, I just saw a 2 GB drive yesterday for $250
so $250 + $250 = $500 for 4GB
OK, so it's not NEARLY as fast but comon you really think it's worth it to have a bit more speed. Really you can setup a killer RAID 0 mirrored for redundancy and STILL spend less. Corporations have no idea how to save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS